Rent the Movie on Nov 23rd!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Chip NoVaMac, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

For those of us that either lacked money or timing to see the stage show, this is great news IMO!

How many in the DC area would be willing to get together for a "dinner and a show" (partial line from "Ice Age") on the 23rd for opening night?

2. Guitarius macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

I guess I'm out of the loop. What movie are you referring to?

EDIT: Wait. I get it. Rent. The musical. Right. That would be why I didn't get it at first. I hate Rent. It's stupid. I generally dislike musicals. Maybe it's because the one I wrote sucked.

*hands over membership card*

3. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

LOL, I was getting ready to ask for your Pink Card back.
    :D

If you have an MP3 or other means I would love to hear your musical....

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I lived in America at the end of the Millenium....

5. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

How do I measure a year?

Today for you, tomorrow for me.

7. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

8. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I'm bummed, most of my extended family have already seen the musical and I haven't. Didn't even realize there was going to be a movie... I'll definitely catch that. Thank goodness musicals are becoming popular again. I spent my childhood renting musicals from the local public library, I grew up idolizing these people-- I mean, they are beautiful, must act, must dance, and must sing-- all at once! And those heels that the women used to wear and those pencil skirts! *sigh* So lovely.

9. Guitarius macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

No. No you don't. Not that I even have something. I'm being a little hard on myself though. The music, in and of itself, was good, but it did nothing for the story. It was like "Let's stop the play and sing a song." I didn't write the songs though, so I blame my collaborator. As far as my writing of the book. It was torture listening through the first draft, but it slowly got better. I tell you though. Of the years I've studied playwriting, I've learned more in that period of time than the rest. My work since then has been a lot better, so I guess something good came out of it.

Oh well. It was a senior project. Most people really liked it, but I think it's because they weren't expecting much comeing into it because they knew it was written by two highschool students.

I thought I was the only person that did that! :eek: I feel better about myself now. Technically though, it my was grandmother constantly getting South Pacific. She would mute the TV during the songs and play the Original Broadway Cast Recording on her record player, because she liked those versions better.

10. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

I didn't like Rent...it depressed the hell out of me.

11. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

It is my own personal hell to someday wake up one morning and have my wife singing to me about brushing her teeth and feeding the cats. I will then be forced to sing a lament about being late for work and driving in traffic. At which point my boss will appear and sing a scolding song about being a crapy employee. <shudder>

Oh I hate musicals.

12. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

seen it twice in DC, warner theater each time... i think it comes through town once a year maybe? seemed like it was for a while anyway...

i think its hard to capture the feel of a musical in a movie... maybe it will work though...

i always enjoyed seeing the show live because you could see the band, the actors, etc... the movie will lose some of that

13. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Psh, well of course!!! Live, I've only seen Phantom and Les Mis (I don't really count Stomp as a musical-- hee). But I figure movies are the next best thing. Especially because tickets are not cheap here. I used to dream and hope that I would wake up and my life would be in a musical. Heh. Nothing like people snickering at you to bring you outta a daydream. :eek:

And Guitarius, I rented South Pacific, too. "Ballyyyyy hiiiiiiiiiigh..." :D

14. coconn06 macrumors regular

I've seen it on Broadway, it's such a great show. It's one of my favorites of all time, along with the recent shows Avenue Q (also saw on Broadway - best show I've ever seen) and now Spamalot (only heard the music, getting tickets is going to be hard - or at least expensive).