Rep. Foley (R-Fla) Resigns Over Emails Sent to 16-yo Boy

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mactastic, Sep 29, 2006.

1. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Ewwwwwwwwwww!
    First, you can bet your bottom dollar this guy wouldn't be resigning his seat 39 days before an election where his party's control of the HoR was at risk if these emails weren't just the tip of a much larger iceberg...

Second, this is why you field strong candidates in EVERY race, even ones in which you supposedly have little chance at the time you decide to run. You never know what the playing field will look like come election day. This seat was supposed to be a safe GOP seat, but now the Democrats have a good chance of turning this into a pickup.

2. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Yeah, but I don't think Mahoney is electable. I don't think most people are going to forgive him for all those crappy Police Acadamy movies.

3. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

its amazing those fundamental christians can ignore every moral scandals of GOP member of congress, while vote against Kerry coz he had a "divorce", this is absurd.

5. bowens macrumors 6502a

bowens

I think you're probably right there. If this was all that was in the emails, then nothing should be happening. If this is all of the information they have, I don't understand why an investigation is going on. There must be more that they're not telling us.

6. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Rumors are that sexual organs and other innappropriate things are mentioned in these IMs. These remain unconfirmed by the mainstream press, but I think Foley's resignation speaks to the accuracy of the rumors.

7. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Even if that's all that was in the emails, it's still freaking creepy. If you want to keep in contact with someone who used to work at your office you usually don't ask for age and pictures. If you didn't work closely enough with them to have a general idea of age then you probably have no reason to keep in contact with them.

A 52 year old man emailing any 16 year old boy about anything is just creepy. The only time it isn't creepy is when it's a teacher/student and all of the emails are about school work and school projects, even then all the email better be from the school email account and nothing like "what do you want for your birthday?".

8. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

And in the "irony" department, there's this:
    Umm... yeah. I think there's one loophole you forgot to close there sir...

9. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Whatever happened to the republican Spin Machine?, they have spun Iraq, Torture,Spying,Katrina,Education,Global warming,Medicare, Border security, Yellowcake, surely Rove could have spun this one with both hands behind his back:rolleyes: Perhaps Bush & Cheney have overloaded him with things to lie about, I mean Spin.

10. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Amidst all the laws, I wonder if this one might resurface?

Attached Files:

11. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

(watches as Foley walks across the street and gets hired for a million bucks a year as a lobbyist for NAMBLA....) :D

12. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Is your new 'tar a ferret or a weasel? Both would be germane. :D

CBSnews has released what was said in Foley's e-mail exchange. I can't see anything which prompted the "sick, sick, sick..." response, though?

13. aquajet macrumors 68020

14. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Jeebus, this stuff is bad.

I won't post the text of the messages, but suffice it to say, the most printable portion of it sounds like Austin Powers asking "Do I make you horny, baby?"

This goes way beyond just resigning from Congress. This guy could be in jail soon -- and in a unbelievably ironic twist, may be a victim of some of his own "get tough on internet predators" legislation. Not only does this go beyond Foley resigning from Congress, it now appears that people in the GOP power structure knew about this and covered it up.
    Rumors are now floating around that some house leadership members knew about Foley's activities almost a year ago. Stories are changing by the minute as the scramble for damage control begins.

This one's likely to be real ugly. And at a terrible time for the GOP no less.

15. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

wow....I read some of the chat between Foley and the teen, and it is NSFW at all. ANd I am at work :eek:

will skim through the rest of it. but i will agree, it is disgustingly sick

like creepy old man sick

16. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Yup, it's bad alright. Looks like the GOP is going on the ropes.

17. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I was just reading about this -- the weird IMs, the fact that Dennis Hastert, Tom DeLay and others knew about this almost a year ago -- and I have two diverse reactions. One is revulsion, the other a sort of opportunistic anticipation. A lot of people are going to point out how creepy this is, but may I suggest that this has just become something that could affect the November elections on a national basis?

After all, the Morality Police are not going to take kindly to the idea that the elected representatives of their party may have been keeping quiet about something this sick. We all know how they react to the idea of deviant sex (whether real or perceived).

This may not be enough to make 'em vote Democrat, but it might be enough to keep 'em home on election day.

18. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Not the whole GOP by any means, although this does make a pickup in FL-16 a very good possibility for the Dems. Apparently the GOP cannot remove Foley's name from the ballot, but any votes he gets automatically go to the newly designated GOP candidate. However, the general consensus is that a new candidate with only 30+ days to fundraise and organize their GOTV efforts has little chance of overtaking the Democratic candidate. I guess we have to wait and see who the GOP picks, which will probably happen by Monday.

There will be some in the GOP leadership who may be tainted by this, but I don't think the fallout will extend beyond a handful of individuals.

19. iGary Guest

iGary

Rob worked for this guy for a short period of time. :eek:

20. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

who's Rob?

21. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Are you serious? Man that's creepy. Hope he washed his hands after using any shared computers...
    iGary's better half.

22. iGary Guest

iGary

The guy I've been sleeping with every night for 7 years. :D

Yup - he came home and told me. Wrote some speeches for him, did some PR crap.

Thank God I finally got him to register Independent. :rolleyes:

23. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

This reminds me of that good 'ole 70's campaign slogan.

"The Moral Majority Is Neither"

Where's your Extreme Evangelical Right Wingers when you need them?

Foley's Folleys

This should be good.

24. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Then again this could be really bad.

I can't help but wonder what Karl Rove has tucked away in his emergency kit.
    "In Case GOP is about to go down the toilet" break wind er a gas uh glass! :D