Rep. McKinney in trouble with Capitol police

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Now, this is going to disappoint all the conservatives who think that we liberals are part of some big Groupthink, but as a fellow Democrat, I can't really come to McKinney's defense.

Too many things about the incident don't sit right with me. Starting at the top, the "cops-are-requesting-an-arrest-warrant/no-they're not" argument is just a semantic game, as I think any fair reading of the article will show. The process has begun, and it's up to the U.S. Attorney to determine whether to go forward with it.

Then there's the race card. This isn't gonna win her any favors, except with those special interest groups who make a living on racial issues. To most of the rest of us, it looks like what it is, a calculated sympathy ploy.

There's also the issue Wolf Blitzer asked her about last night on The Situation Room: instead of rushing away or slugging the cop, why didn't she just walk through the metal detector as they asked her to? It would've taken a few extra seconds, and all this could've been avoided.

In her defense, McKinney said that there were plenty of Congressmen and -women who don't wear their pins, so why her? But while many Representatives and Senators are instantly recognizable, Capitol police can't be expected to recognize all 535 of them, especially when they wear a completely different hairstyle, as McKinney did.

Anyway, it looks to me like she had a brain fart and is trying to blame everybody else for it. This didn't have to be the big deal that it's turned into, and she really doesn't have anybody else to blame...at least to my way of thinking.

Link

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I think the ID rules should be enforced for everyone or no one. If police can't handle remembering all 535 members of congress, then all members should be required to carry ID. The new hairstyle thing definitely adds a wrinkle to the case, but still I think there needs to be a uniform procedure.

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

without knowing all the facts, from my current vantage point i think it would behoove ms mckinney to remember that the GOP is in a tailspin, and distractions such as this do a disservice to the party.

4. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

5. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

Shouldn't she be happy that they stopped her? If I worked there, I would be worried if they didn't check my badge every time!

Obviously no one knows quite the whole story, but it sounds to me like dragging racial issues into this is just going to make things worse. If she simply apologized, the whole thing would have blown over already, and I would feel much better about her.

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

She needs to be bitch slapped for not wearing the badge.

7. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

She needs to be bitch slapped for crying racism.

8. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I can see there are at least two people in this forum who should check out their need to "bitch slap" anyone.

I don't know what the reality of the interaction between security and Rep. McKinney was on that day. I do know racial profiling goes on. I do know that racism sometimes lurks behind a badge. I also know that sometimes innocent actions get interpreted as racist when no such intention existed. This sounds to me as if something that should be dealt with in house with a discussion with both parties involved. It shouldn't have to rise to the level of a court case, unless there is more confirmation of much more serious actions than what is provable at this time.

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

McKinney could have handled this with a little more class, that's for sure.

Of course, I'd guess there are some Bushites quietly pushing for charges to be brought so that Republics aren't the only ones under indictment. ;)

10. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

The only logical solution! ;) :D

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Don't know all the facts of the case, but she does seem to be making more of this than it was. Might have been racial profiling, but it might have been someone doing their job and she just decided to cry racism as a quick defense against undefensible behavior. See neocons and religion.

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

And now CNN reports that the Republics are talking about introducing a resolution in support of the Capitol Police.... in what could only be described as a cynical political stunt. Of course, they insist it has nothing to do with the McKinney incident.

Yeah right, and Delay resigned so he could help the orphans!

Also, McKinney isn't helping her own cause with her actions. The more she talks, the worse it gets. Someone from the Democratic caucus needs to take her aside and tell her to tone it down so her legal troubles don't become the story of the day, rather than Delay's troubles.

13. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

Classic example of not taking responsibility for one's actions at best, and a political statement and power play at worst.

McKinney could have simply admitted to herself that she screwed up. But no, she is spinning it off into what is looking like a platform.

People will do anything for some power.

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I don't get it. I haven't heard any praise of her actions; in fact, it seems that members of her own party are treating her like a leper with a live hand grenade. How does this add up to power?

15. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I don't see it as a power play either. She screwed up and thought that playing the race card would get her off the hook (a reasonable assumption), but I don't think this episode was a calculated move to gain power.

16. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-IJ Reilly

Well, power can be obtained through several means, but I think we can all agree that when a person wants to try, one will try somewhere, when the opportunity arises.

But then, there is the rub. There are the two factors of Skill and Opportunity. The mix of those two elements determines if a person becomes truly powerful, or a player in some lower tier.

Take Howard Dean - jeez! From country doctor, through inexplicable scream, to Chairman of the party! Regardless of what one thinks of him, he's got the Skill to exploit Opportunity properly.

Look at it this way: she is getting a lot of coverage on this isn't she? That's a form of power. And who says she's trying to get power ultimately in government? - could be post-public servitude. Additionally, who says that she's got the skill to take it farther? Echoing a lot of sentiment here, we don't know the whole story - let alone what she's got cooking in her head - she certainly found an opportunity. And noone goes into politics without some desire for power.

17. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Bingo, lets blame someone else because i didnt wear my badge. I stand by me earlier post.

18. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Well of course, but you've failed to demonstrate how any benefit has accrued to the Representative from allegedly bopping a guard with a cell phone. This is all very dumb stuff. Sometimes you just need to go with the obvious.

19. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-IJ Reilly

Sure I have. She's got coverage. People know her name now.

Also as stated, this is still mid-game, we don't know what further capital these shenanigans will give her, so we'll wait and see.

You are correct, however, that the conclusion could be with the original idea that she's a bonehead just making a stink with no ambition beyond that.

Again, we'll just have to wait and see.

20. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

From this comment , it doesn't seem like you even know what a 'neocon' is. Religious right and neocons are two separate groups. They overlap in some (even many) instances, but they are not the same. Different goals, different priorities.

And on the McKinney issue, I think shes racist and should be brought up on at least ethics charges. There no evidence whatsoever the officer acted in any way that was remotely racially based.

21. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Actually, there's no evidence for anything as yet. At this point, it's just an incident under investigation.

22. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Wow. How do they do that? I mean...take an incident which didn't make anybody but a Democrat look bad, and end up shooting themselves in the foot with it??

23. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Where did he say anything about the religious right?

24. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Apparently you missed my point. Neocons hide behind religion all the time. DeLay just did it the other day, and he is the very definition of a neocon. He talks about God while doing very unethical things, then when he got caught, tried to make himself a martyr blaming the "liberals" who were trying to take him down because of his beliefs. I was merely pointing out that she seems to be doing the same thing, only hiding behind racial profiling instead of faux religious beliefs. At this point, the cries of racism appear just as faux.

Ah but there's no evidence that he didn't. Not saying I agree with what she did, she was clearly wrong either way, but it's telling that you are so quick to call for ethics issues to be filed when we don't even know what happened. Wonder how you'd feel if she had an (R) next to her name instead of a (D).

Of course, I was willing to give Duke Cunningham the benefit of the doubt, as I did with Joe Scarborough... and look at how well that turned out.

25. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Oh, and compare this...
    ... to how the neocons are treating DeLay, and I think you see my point.