Repacing HardDrive in PB, will this work?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by PlaceofDis, Aug 21, 2005.

1. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    okay, i am replacing the dead HardDrive in my rev. a 12" powerbook

will this one work for me?

i just want to be sure before i put down the $$ for it and open the case and everything. sure its only a 40 gig, but i have a 250 gig external that i am using now so i can keep the majority of my stuff on that still for when i am home.
  2. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    Unless you have a TiBook your not going to have very much fun cracking that thing open. It's pretty much a complete take apart to get to that hard drive. Just some advice from someone who has seen to many things go wrong with take aparts.

3. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Apr 10, 2003
    I watched an Apple tech take apart a PB at the IT office at school, and I think it is doable if you are incredibly organized with the screws.
  4. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Dec 27, 2004
    Avon, IN
  5. tsk macrumors 6502a

Jan 14, 2004
    I'm assuming rev A is the same as rev B (which I have experience with)....

If so, it's really not that bad. It's far less than a complete take apart. You don't have to mess with the MB or anything. Just basically remove the top cover (which, yes involves like 15 screws). It can be done in half an hour I bet. Just make sure you keep track of where the screws go.
  6. munkle macrumors 68030

Aug 7, 2004
    On a jet plane
    Should work dandy in your PB.

I changed the HD on my 12" Rev B recently. After looking at the PBFixIt guide I decided to let a technician do the dirty work. Saved on a lot of stress!
  7. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003
    my pb was like 15 screws before i got the case open or the keyboard off. :(
  8. PlaceofDis thread starter macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    just to let everyone know, i just finished cloning my external onto the new internal... works perfectly, the pbfixit guide was invaluable and helped make the process simple and easy.

the only problem i am having now is that my BT is not being recognized, i wonder if i knocked something...
  9. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

Dec 17, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Did you have to disconnect the module? If not, then yeah maybe you accidentally knocked the connection loose.
  10. PlaceofDis thread starter macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    nope didnt intentionally have to do anything with the BT module, i'm not even sure where it is located, so perhaps i did mess it up. guess i can go awhile with no wireless KB or Mouse until i can figure it out