repair disk image (probably resource fork is missing)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by redeye be, Mar 15, 2005.

1. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

Hi,

A friend is having some problems opening his disk images. Apparently they were damaged, he thinks it could be the resource fork missing.
    Does anybody have any idea how to mount or recover these disk images?
    A nice utility maybe?

The regular app sites did not return any results at a first glance.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If the disk image is a .dmg file, then it is my understanding that it does not have a resource fork. Disk image files can be damaged for any number of reasons. Your friend may try opening his damaged image within Disk Utility. On occasion, this has worked for me.

3. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Can your friend re-download them? That may work if they were damaged during download (known to happen on occasion).

4. redeye be thread starter macrumors 65816

redeye be

They are mainly his old games, re-downloading isn't an option.
    I'll pass on the message, but i would think he allready tried Disk Utility (the guy works on unix all day and has supported mac users in his younger years - i took over his job for a while when he went to play with the bigger guns). I'll surprise him with my new knowledge on the dmg recourse fork ;).
    Thx for the helps so far!

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

W-a-a-a-i-t a minute! Your friend's old games didn't ship in .dmg files. The format is unique to MacOS X. If his files are .dmg disk image files, they were converted to the format recently. The distribution disks must be close at hand.

6. redeye be thread starter macrumors 65816

redeye be

i never criticize my friends views on copyright infringements :eek: ;) :cool: