Repair or replacement?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by MagicPixel, Aug 28, 2004.

1. MagicPixel macrumors member

Jul 5, 2004
    Channel Islands

I was hoping to get some advice on how to deal with a new PM I bought from the apple store UK, basically I received a 2.5 yesterday (after waiting over 2 months).

When I set it up it was dead, won't even boot up without a kernel panic, anyway, after talking to apple tech support on the phone they said it's a hardware conflict that needs to go back for repair. Wasn't overly fussed at first, these things happen, although it'd be a massive help with work as I'm freelance. But I'm a bit concerned at the amount of time it's going to take for it to be repaired, does anyone have any experience with that? Should I be asking for a replacement unit (keeping in mind that it's a CTO G5) or am I just prolonging it even more?

Any advice on how to handle the situation would be appreciated.

2. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    Cape Cod
    Well, I don't know how much of a difference 2.5 is from 2.0, but which ever you choose is your decision.

If you decide to (possibly) wait and get the 2.5, and Apple is slow about it, raise hell with them. Call them every 30 minutes, send 25+ emails a day.

What Apple is doing to you (and other people waiting for 2.5s, minis, iMacs, etc.) is totally unacceptable, and if Apple wants to get more market share, they have to change their ways.

Steve promised us dual 3.0 in one, I understand that it is not his fault we they did not reach that, but they promised us new G5s in 12 months, people have been waiting almost 15 months for them.

3. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    I would ask them for a repair time frame. If you were to order a replacement it would probably take a lot longer, it is still a 4 - 6 weeks wait on delivery. Probably the repair will take about a week, at least a unit taken to an Apple Store they say a 5 - 7 day turn around. That is having it shipped to your home. You should discuss your situation with them.