Repair Permissions Problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nsheikh80, Nov 27, 2005.

1. nsheikh80 macrumors regular

nsheikh80

Ever since I upgraded to 10.4.3 I keep getting the below log everytime I repair permissions. I am running Tiger on a Powerbook. Can anyone help?

Repairing permissions for “Macintosh HD”
    Determining correct file permissions.
    We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Dictionary.wdgt/Dictionary.js. New permissions are 33188
    We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Dictionary.wdgt/Dictionary.widgetplugin/Contents/Info.plist. New permissions are 33188
    We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Dictionary.wdgt/Dictionary.widgetplugin/Contents/MacOS/Dictionary. New permissions are 33261
    We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Dictionary.wdgt/Dictionary.widgetplugin/Contents/version.plist. New permissions are 33188
    We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Dictionary.wdgt/Info.plist. New permissions are 33188
    We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Dictionary.wdgt/version.plist. New permissions are 33188
    We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/FlightTracker.js. New permissions are 33188
    We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/FlightTrackerComboBoxPlugin.plugin/Contents/Info.plist. New permissions are 33188
    We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/FlightTrackerComboBoxPlugin.plugin/Contents/MacOS/FlightTrackerComboBoxPlugin. New permissions are 33261
    We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/FlightTrackerComboBoxPlugin.plugin/Contents/version.plist. New permissions are 33188
    We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/Info.plist. New permissions are 33188
    We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/parser.js. New permissions are 33188
    We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/version.plist. New permissions are 33188
    We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Stickies.wdgt/Info.plist. New permissions are 33188
    We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Stickies.wdgt/Stickies.js. New permissions are 33188
    We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Stickies.wdgt/version.plist. New permissions are 33188
    We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Unit Converter.wdgt/Info.plist. New permissions are 33188
    We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Unit Converter.wdgt/UnitConverter.js. New permissions are 33188
    We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Unit Converter.wdgt/parser.js. New permissions are 33188
    We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Unit Converter.wdgt/version.plist. New permissions are 33188
    We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets. New permissions are 16877
    We are using a special gid for the file or directory ./System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/MacOS/Dock. New gid is 0
    We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/MacOS/Dock. New permissions are 33261
    We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./usr/lib/php/build/Makefile.global. New permissions are 33060
    We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./usr/lib/php/build/acinclude.m4. New permissions are 33060
    We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./usr/lib/php/build/mkdep.awk. New permissions are 33060
    We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./usr/lib/php/build/phpize.m4. New permissions are 33060
    We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./usr/lib/php/build/scan_makefile_in.awk. New permissions are 33060

Permissions repair complete
    The privileges have been verified or repaired on the selected volume

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I get the same on the seven machines I repair permissions on (or is it eight?) and I don't worry about it. I found 10.4.2 had similar problems albeit not nearly as bad. It just seems to be one of the many new 10.4.3 features.

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

It's just warnings to let you know that special permissions are used. If you look closely you'll notice that none of the permissions actually have been changed. Nothing to worry about... :)

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Really? I thought the new permissions part implied they had been changed. :confused:

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I think they specify when a permission is changed...

Edit: Just did a small experiment. I messed with the permissions on the World Clock widget and then repaired permissions, and what do you know (;)):
    Code:
    We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Unit Converter.wdgt/parser.js.  New permissions are 33188
    We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Unit Converter.wdgt/version.plist.  New permissions are 33188
    Permissions differ on ./Library/Widgets/World Clock.wdgt, should be drwxr-xr-x , they are drwxrwxr-x 
    [B]Owner and group corrected on ./Library/Widgets/World Clock.wdgt
    Permissions corrected on ./Library/Widgets/World Clock.wdgt[/B]
    We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets.  New permissions are 16877

6. Will Cheyney macrumors 6502a

Will Cheyney

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Thanks Mitthrawnuruodo. I didn't doubt you at all. I was just kinda thinking out loud (as much as you can in an online forum). It's interesting all the same. :)

8. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

No problem... you just made me doubt myself just enogh to run that little experiment to see if I had got it wrong... ;)