Repair Permissions Q

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by xsedrinam, Sep 20, 2006.

1. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I've generally run Repair Permissions and MacJanitor every 7-10 days for years, especially after an installation. For the longest time, this permissions repair continually shows up in the window: "./Library/Color/Sync/Profiles/Displays". Is there's a fix for this? Is it CS2 (Photoshop) Preferences related in a hidden file? Thanks, anyone.

Attached Files:

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I've been getting the same since installing the last QuickTime and iTunes updates but I don't have CS2. I've been looking into it but can't think what it'd be. Arbitrary messages like this one were meant to have been eradicated in 10.4.6 (I think, maybe earlier). :eek:

Nevertheless, I don't think it's anything to worry about. :)

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

That just looks like warnings. No permissions are actually changed, they just inform you that a special permission is being used.

I thought they cut back on those warnings a couple of Mac OS X minor updates ago (like MJ said ;))... what version are you using...?

4. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Try opening up ColorSync Utility and either verifying/repairinig the profiles there. Not sure if that will do anything, but that's my best guess.

5. xsedrinam thread starter macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I'll check the ColorSync Utility to see. I'm not worried, it's just annoying. Mitthrawnuruodo, I'm running Panther 10.3.9. I didn't make the Tiger jump. :eek: Thanks for the tips, everyone.

Okay, I ran the Profile First Aid and got this read out:
    Searching for profiles...
    Checking 102 profiles...
    /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Color/Profiles/ProPhoto.icm
    Header white point is not D50.
    The file is locked. Could not be fixed.
    Repair done - 0 out of 1 profiles fixed.

The "white point" is a plugin for Image Factory, which runs fine with PS open. I unlocked the files for both OSX and Classic, but still get the same readouts running Profile First Aid and Repair Permissions. I'll post back if I get anywhere on it.

6. xsedrinam thread starter macrumors 601

xsedrinam

FWIW, if case anyone else might be interested. Spurious status messages appeared with 10.3.x after Security Update 2005-001. The article "Disk Utility reports some messages that you can ignore" were attached to this as well as to monthly maintenance schedules, etc.

No big deal, but at least there's an explanation for it.

7. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

You will always get a few "We are using special permissions.." messages. They signify nothing. While there are times when repairing permissions helps, doing it frequently is just Mac Voodoo (like slapping the TV when it isn't working).

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That's right, but they were meant to be hidden in 10.4.6 and later. Also, I didn't get them for the early releases of Tiger. Strange stuff. I guess the iTunes or QuickTime update brought them back for me. :(