Repair Permissions Question?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by mbutlerdelrio, Jan 3, 2003.

1. mbutlerdelrio macrumors newbie

I am a new Mac user and have seen a lot of talks surrounding repairing permissions. I have just purchased a dual 1GHz PowerMac and have updated the system to the most current software. I am curious why you would need to run repair permissions, and if my system seems stable should I attempt to do this? I do have a seperate profile for my wife and myself, and I have added 2 internal, and 1 external hard drive for various things. I have also made alias's to folders on those hard drives for my wife and I to share.

Any comments regarding why/when you would need to run the utility would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mario:confused:

2. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

dont

you shouldnt need to do this. in some cases... some applications well chage permissions arround when installing or.. they are wrong when you drag and drop install. you shouldnt need to do it unless your having big problems

3. mbutlerdelrio thread starter macrumors newbie

That's all I was looking for !!!

Thanks !

Mario

4. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

repairing permissions will not hurt anything, it can only do good. i've had lots of trouble with permissions becoming messed up in 10.2 and used to have to repair permissions every 2 days or so. even without installing anything new, i still run it every once in a while and it always finds problems. if you are not having serious problems (i was unable to use the keyboard, access the internet, etc. in some instances) i would still recomend doing it once every month or two just as a matter of computer maintenence. you will not hurt anything by doing it and you don't even have to boot from the install cd, just log in as root user and disk utility will repair the permissions.