Repair Permissions - SUID files?

Discussion in 'OS X' started by kjr39, Dec 24, 2007.

1. macrumors 6502

kjr39

I have a number of files that have been modified and are SUID files that will be repaired by Disk Utility.

Anyone have any idea what this is or if you are seeing this with your Disk Utilities...

Here is the output...

Repairing permissions for “Macintosh HD”
    Warning: SUID file "usr/libexec/load_hdi" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskManagement.framework/Versions/A/Resources/DiskManagementTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Locum" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Versions/A/Resources/runner" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Permissions differ on "private/var/log/secure.log", should be -rw------- , they are -rw-r----- .
    Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Admin.framework/Versions/A/Resources/readconfig" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Admin.framework/Versions/A/Resources/writeconfig" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Warning: SUID file "usr/libexec/authopen" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/OwnerGroupTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

2. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's safe to ignore these.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

kjr39

4. macrumors 6502

I get those, too. Does everybody? "Safe to ignore" only satisfies me so much. I'd still sortof like to know why they're there / what they mean. And if most people don't get that, I'd like to know what I did differently in order to start getting them. ...And since when does Apple allow disk utility to report vague "warning" messages that are of no consequence whatsoever? Seems sortof contrary to the general Apple user experience...

5. macrumors 603

iSaint

I got these, too, and found the same 'safe to ignore' message when I Googled it. I'll bow down to the Apple HQ on this one.

6. macrumors newbie

SUID not repaired

I will would like to know why their repair tool is unable to repair this and the ACL found but not expected. Almost defeats the purpose of having this tool.

7. macrumors regular

what about the SUID messages and others that *aren't* on that list? And it stil won't repair them

I have quite a few....