Repair scratch on CRT monitor?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by john123, Nov 8, 2002.

1. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

Hey all,

I have a beautiful CRT monitor (Sony) that has a very thin scratch on it. The result is that when it's on -- especially with a white background -- it creates a prism effect of light, which is REALLY annoying. It's not deep at all -- I'd guess that it might have only penetrated the antiglare coating.

I've talked to Sony and several other places, and no one has been able to help me. I know that some people use stuff like toothpaste as an abrasive, but because the monitor HAS an antiglare coating, I'm concerned about making things worse.

Anyone have any helpful tips?

Thanks a million.

2. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

3. rjrufo macrumors regular

LCD Repair

I did a quick search to see if there was any sites that talked about repairing a scratched LCD screen, the only one that kept popping up is http://www.repairlcd.com/. I'll be needing info on this as well, since my Ti Powerbook has a small nick in the screen, not enough to worry about, but sometimes gets in the way if I'm watching a movie while I'm traveling.

4. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

call your local glass company and see what they say....

5. john123 thread starter macrumors 68000

john123

Mine's a CRT, not an LCD.

And the two local glass places I talked to had no clue.

GeeYou, have you actually tried/heard of superglue for something like this? I don't wanna make the problem worse!

6. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

I have been there

I had a 21" monitor with that proble, there was no solution but... not too long ago I went to a car repair center and their offer me a "liquid" to protect a tiny scratch I had in my windshield. The liquid youl fix the scratch and make the windshield looks like new, it will make the problem disapear 100%. Now that you mention the monitor stuff try that. I do not have that monitor anymore but I would try dealing with a windshield center or something like that.

7. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

I've seen a low-cost glass repair kit at Walmart, it's a suction-cup thingie that includes a glass repair fluid... i never thought of that... Anyway, if you try it, let us know... my monitor at work has a pretty good gouge that annoys the piss out of me.. bad enough i have to use a PC, but the screen could at least be clear and clean looking.

:)
    pnw

8. john123 thread starter macrumors 68000

john123

I guess I'll try looking for that sort of kit. The kicker in all of this is the stupid coating. If it were just a scratch in the glass, that sort of thing could be buffed out with a jeweler's rouge or something like that. It's the coating that presents the problem.

Argh!

Thanks for the tips so far. If anyone knows anything else, please keep it coming!

9. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Well if you could get the company to tell you exactly what anti-glare coating they use, you could probably track down a wholesaler or something, tho the technique for applying it is probably difficult... i think you're just going to have to live with part of it not being anti-glare, or buy another monitor... :(

pnw

10. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

How does one scratch there monitor screen? Is it done like the lady who wipes the condensation off the inside of the windshield with the back of her hand with a diamond ring on?

11. john123 thread starter macrumors 68000

john123

I was just lugging it from one side of the room to the other...I probably had my watch or belt buckle or something like that against the screen and wasn't aware of it. When you're carrying a 21" monitor 100 feet away, the only thing you're thinking about is not dropping it....

12. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I understand totally. I had to carry my 27" sony tv down 4 flights of stairs by myself a few years back.