Repaire myself, or save the money and hope.

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Eniregnat, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

A little help here.

I have had my 12” PB about a year. I was using my computer at work and I stepped on the Ethernet cable when getting up, causing my computer to fly off the desk and impact the floor, breaking the Ethernet port. The folks at my local Mac store fixed the housing by hammering it straight for free. Needless to say, the logic board may be broken. Unrelated (perhaps) to this the drive has started to fail. SMART reads as FAILING and DiskUtility only reads the drive in RED, and the message has changed from "Disk Failing- Back up Now", to "Disk Failing Copy What You Can." and won’t even let me repair permissions. My Apple Care is likely voided.

Question: Better to wait until the computer fails and hope by then (a year) that I can save for another PB.

Or

Take the unit apart, definitely void Apple care, and replace the drive (any body do this on a 12” PB?”.

Or

Submit a claim to Apple and hope that they don’t attempt to charge me for the logic board damage.

Anybody have suggestions as to replacement drives, kits, or directions.

I need the computer, but I am on a tight budget. What will likely be the most cost effective?

(Ethicly I can't sell a broken computer to somebody, and I doubt that I could get much for a broken 1Gz 40GbHd SuperDrive Ap+Bt Pb G4.)

2. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I would take it back to the Genius at the Apple Store who hammered on it.

3. Eniregnat thread starter macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

A Mac store, not an offical Apple Store.
    Trust me, the mettle on the side was in an awful position, not safe for travle.
    [​IMG] Funny Tar.