Repairing DVD volume headers?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Littleodie914, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Hey guys, I'm in a bit of a dilema here. A friend of mine burned me a copy of linux that he wants to test on Mac OS X. (It's a modified version of YDL or something he's been working on.) I popped the DVD in my iBook, and it mounted just fine. I went to the Startup Disk preference pane, and it even showed up there. So I selected it and restarted, expecting it to work just fine. Instead, it pretends to boot for about 2 minutes, (I can hear the CD drive whining), and then the drive spins down and just leaves me with a white screen. I booted back into OS X and ran Disk Utility to verify the disk. It gets through everything fine until the very end, where it says that the "Volume Header needs minor repair". Is there any way to fix this, or do I really need to ask him for a second copy? It took him quite a bit of work to get this burned, as he had to borrow a DVD burner from someone, and has already returned it... Is there any way to fix this? Would ripping the .ISO image and then re-burning it help? Like is this a problem with the image itself, or with the media? Thanks!! :)

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

A DVD isn't modifiable, so at the very least you'd need to make an image and rewrite it. If he hadn't modified the image, I'd suggest using md5sum to verify the image file, but that's not possible with a modified image.

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

This sounds like a problem with the image itself. I don't know if there's any way to run a volume checker on an image. If there isn't, the image was either burned improperly or is corrupt :(

4. Littleodie914 thread starter macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Ah darn... That's what I was afraid of... Well, I'll have to stop at Best Buy tomorrow and grab some more DVD's... And then find a DVD burner for cheaps somewhere :rolleyes: :(

5. Littleodie914 thread starter macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Hmm... I've been working with it a bit longer, and I can't seem to get it to work :(

All four DVD's I've burned from the .DMG come up with that same "volume header needs minor repair" error. I have...
    • burned the .DMG on a PC
    • converted to an .ISO on the Mac, then transferred to the PC and burned it
    • converted to a .cdr and burned it on the PC
    • Re-burned it using the same method as the first time

..To no avail :confused: Is there any way to do this?! I've mounted the .DMG normally on my iBook, and used Disk Utility to check it, and it's fine. So there must be some error with burning the CD (which needs to be bootable on a Mac, don't forget) on a PC. Is there ANY way to get this to work? Burning it on a Mac won't work, since both my iBook and iMac have slot-loading drives, so can't be upgraded. I don't have the money to buy an external burner, and I don't know anyone with a Superdriven Mac... (BTW, my friend just burned the .DMG in data format to the DVD and sent it to me so I could do it myself... I'm using the DVD burner in my PC)

If there's a solution, I'd REALLY appreciate any help... I'm pulling my hair out over here!

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I don't know if it's even possible to burn a bootable Mac CD/DVD on a PC, or, for that matter, a bootable Windows/x86 Linux CD/DVD on a Mac. Clearly, the problem is that you're either using the wrong utility, or your burn settings are incorrect....