Repairing ipod nano 1st gen

Discussion in 'iPod' started by ovihc, Dec 11, 2006.

1. ovihc macrumors newbie

Can an ipod nano function or turn on without a lcd connected to it?

Today I got an Ipod nano 1st generation from somebody that had dropped it from a one-story balcony. I'm really excited to get this thing working again, but I need your help.

Damage:
    The LCD broke into pieces and it was thrown in the trash. I don't have an LCD on the nano right now. All the circuitry looks good from the inside. There is dust and sand in the inside so it seems that there is a chance of internal damage to the circuitry. Other than that, no components are broken nor missing. Inside there is only one cable connecting the circuitry on the green pcb board to the mouse wheel.

Symptoms:
    The nano at this point is not working. When I plug it into a macbook, I do not get any sign of life. I opened Ipod Updater and it doesn't detect it. I opened Disk Utility and it's not recognized.

Your Help:
    I need to verify if the nano is able to function without an LCD.

1.) For anyone that has opened a nano before, can the nano function without an LCD screen? Is the LCD needed for the device to be detected by the system?

2.) If someone is willing to open their nano, and check if it is detected by the computer in anyway, please let me know.

If for some reason, someone plugs in their nano to their computer without an LCD and it works, then that would indicate to me that my nano is DEAD. However, if someone plugs in their WORKING nano into the system without an LCD and it doesn't work, then I can buy the LCD repair kit and get my nano to work.

Can someone help me out?

Thanks!

2. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.