Repairing permission, what's an SUID file?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BOOMBA, Dec 27, 2007.

1. macrumors regular

BOOMBA

Hey there.
    I'm trying to repair permissions on my Mac Pro running 10.5.1 with Disk Utility, and I get this list of things it doesn't want to fix.

Code:
    Repairing permissions for “Macintosh HD”
    Warning: SUID file "usr/libexec/load_hdi" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskManagement.framework/Versions/A/Resources/DiskManagementTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Locum" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Versions/A/Resources/runner" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Admin.framework/Versions/A/Resources/readconfig" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Admin.framework/Versions/A/Resources/writeconfig" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Warning: SUID file "usr/libexec/authopen" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/OwnerGroupTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Any idea what these are and why it can't modify them? I've never had problems repairing permissions cleanly before.
    :confused:

thanks!

(oh, running DU off the hard drive, not the disk)

2. Retired

psychofreak

This is a known problem with Leopard, don't worry :)

3. thread starter macrumors regular

BOOMBA

Awesome.
    thanks.
    They all sounded important, and freaked me out, like someone had control of my remote log in stuff.
    :p

4. Moderator emeritus

yellow

For the record, and SUID is:

Source: http://linux.about.com/cs/linux101/g/suidlparsetuser.htm

5. macrumors newbie