Repairing permissions

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by steadyeddie, May 27, 2004.

1. steadyeddie macrumors member

Every time I run "repair permissions" on my PB 12" Rev C (3 weeks old), I get the following message:

Repairing permissions for “Macintosh HD”
    Determining correct file permissions.
    We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./System/Library/Filesystems/cd9660.fs/cd9660.util. New permissions are 33261
    The privileges have been verified or repaired on the selected volume

No matter how many times I repair permissions, this message always appears.

This has happened since the machine was new, under both 10.3.3 and 10.3.4. It doesn't seem to cause a problem- it just bugs me that it won't go away. I never saw this on my old mac (iMac G3 running 10.3.3).

Has anyone else seen this? Does anyone know what "special permissions" are?

Ed.

2. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    i get that too, doesn't seem to affect anything though

3. steadyeddie thread starter macrumors member

Thanks krimson,
    good to know I'm not alone! Guess it's just a quirk with the OS...

Ed.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

If you really want to know, there are three special permissions that I know of. They are SUID (Set User ID), which is used on executable files to allow the user running the executable to take on the rights of another user while running the executable; SGID (Set Group ID), which works like SUID, except it's for groups; and the sticky bit, used on directories, makes it so that even if you have write permission on the directory, you can only delete files that you own inside that directory. The numbers are a UNIX representation of the permissions. I do not know what the fifth digit represents - I do know that four of the digits shown represent special, user, group, and other (everyone else) permissions.

5. danbalsh macrumors regular

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

It isn't a problem, as has been stated by krimson in a previous post. It's just a weird message that comes up whenever you repair permissions and it's perfectly normal.

7. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar