Repeated email delivery (Mail 1.3.9)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chivo, Feb 23, 2005.

1. chivo macrumors newbie

I have finally had it with the strange behavior of my mail program. I have set it up to get mail from my home account and my work account. For whatever reason, I keep getting the emails redelivered to my work account. There appears to be no rhyme or reason to which ones and when. Some have been previously deleted, some are still in my inbox and they are not all connected by date or anything like that. Its just that I keep having to delete these repeated deliveries of legitimate messages over and over again.

My system is a g4, 733MHz with 768 MB SDRAM. I have OSX 10.3.8 running and Mail 1.3.9 as my default email program.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
    TJ

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Knowing two additional pieces of information would help me diagnose your problem:

1. Are both accounts from the same provider? If you don't know what I mean, the easiest way to check this is to look at the domain part of your email address in both accounts and see if they're the same or different. An email address takes this form: user@domain

2. How are the accounts accessed (POP, IMAP, MAPI, etc.)?

3. chivo thread starter macrumors newbie

wrldwzrd89,

Thanks for the reply. The accounts are both POP accounts and are not from the same provider.

Also, in case it wasn't clear in the first post, I dont get messages redelivered to my work address on my computer at work (a dell that is configured to get mail from only that work account). The problem only occurs on my computer at home (my sweetheart mac). Dont know if this helps with diagnosis but thought I'd toss it in just in case.

Thanks again.

TJ

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I had to give this one some thought...

Do you have Mail set to leave messages on the server? Sure, this is a nice feature, but it doesn't always work that well with POP accounts. Sometimes, Mail forgets what it's already retrieved and gets it again - I have no idea why this happens, and I've never had this issue on my IMAP .Mac mail, suggesting it's POP-specific (and Mail-specific).

5. chivo thread starter macrumors newbie

It was set to remove copies from the server after retreiving messages after 1 week. I changed this to 1 day and will watch the account for a couple days to see if anything changes. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks for the suggestion.

TJ

6. chivo thread starter macrumors newbie

Time for an update. I made the change indicated in the above message and monitored the account for a few days. Today, I got 38 messages redelivered to my work account. They date back to Feb 1, but not every message received in Feb was redelivered. Some were messages that had been deleted. Some, I still had copies of in my inbox. I looked for other patterns but couldn't find any (e.g. not ALL messages from a given sender address were redelivered over the past month).

It was a good idea, but the problem is clearly not fixed. Any other suggestions? I'm stumped.

TJ