Replace 1st gen MacBook logic board with 2nd Gen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brandon6684, Dec 17, 2006.

1. brandon6684 Guest

Does anyone know the differences between the Core Duo and Core 2 Duo Mac book and if the later can be used as a drop in replacement for the former? Basically I want to take the logic board from a 2nd gen MacBook(which basically had the top/screen half destroyed) and use it to replace the one in a slower 1st gen as sort of an upgrade. Would it work?

2. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

Could you replace the screen on the broken one instead with the screen of your old one? Or at least fill in enough parts on the broken one with parts from the working one and make it work properly?

I don't know about how the logic board is held in place but I know that on the MBP there are some differences, so I assume on the MB it's the same thing. I'm also assuming that the casing is slightly different, so I think the easiest would be to leave it in the damaged casing and replace whatever is needed. I guess doing this could be limited by how much damage the casing has though.

3. brandon6684 thread starter Guest

Well the broken one not only had the screen broken, but the top part of the case.

4. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

I would replace the screen and the upper case (see ifixit.com), it will be easier then stripping everything out and risking killing both machines.

5. Kendall015 macrumors regular

I don't believe that they are the same because the MBP C2D has a Firewire 800 port that the MBP CD does not... Correct me if i'm wrong, though.

6. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

I think these are macbooks and not macbookpros. But still there a probably differences, and I think just changing the LCD and whatever else is broken would be the simplest and safest bet. I'm assuming it could all fit, considering they look pretty much the same, I just don't think the logic board from C2D MB would fit on CD MB.

7. bbrosemer macrumors 6502a

bbrosemer