Replace a G4 14" Monitor

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by SBSBITA, Mar 28, 2006.

1. SBSBITA macrumors newbie

Dec 28, 2005
    Took my lady's 14" G4 to a local shop yesterday to get an estimate on monitor repair. $825!! Has anyone ever tried to replace one of these things themselves? I'm a pretty handy guy, I feel like it may be possible to do it myself.

Also, does anyone know a good place to get a replacement monitor? Used or refurbished is fine by me.

2. bokdol macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2002
    i am guessing it's an ibook. yeah but there is about 40 screws to take apart. and sometimes it's hard to find. if the top coverpalm rest, where the keyboard sits on, does not come off easily there is usually a screw that is not out.

check this out for details of the inside
  3. alexstein macrumors 6502a

Aug 23, 2004
    Yes 825 is a little steep, try looking around maybe a little bit around. I quick google search brought up these Guys

Good luck though on your screen replacement.
  4. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Mar 17, 2005
    London, UK
    Keep an eye on ebay for faulty G4 'books, they're quite common on there and the usual fault is logic board failure, not screen failure. You can get detailed step by step instructions on how to take a 'book apart by going to
    You can probably get a faulty G4 book for a few hundred dollars, take the screen out and then sell the left over parts individually, that way the total cost will be quite small, relatively.
  5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Mar 23, 2005
  6. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

Dec 19, 2004
    I second this motion.

You can save a lot of money this way. You can then resell the left over parts and make most of your money back.
    I just found a number of possible parts in these two sections on ebay.
    Apple Macintosh Computer/ Apple Components Searched "screen"
    Apple Macintosh Computer/ Apple Laptops, Notebooks/ Apple iBook Searched "parts"