iPad Replace a laptop with an iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Piccio, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Piccio, Dec 22, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2012

macrumors member

Dec 10, 2012
    Today I sold my 17" laptop, because it was too old and I used it only as secondary PC to take notes at university, to write documents in a different place than my desktop at home, on vacations to watch movies, browse the web etc..

But sometimes it was very useful, months ago for example I had a problem with my desktop PC (the one that I use most of the time) and initially I considered to use my Galaxy Nexus for about a week just to browse the web, emails, forums, blog a couple of movies/tv shows etc. But after two days the experience was frustrating because of the small screen and the touchscreen, wont to use a 23 inch monitor, a keyboard and the mouse every day. So I switched to the old laptop for the remaining days.

Now I was thinking about an iPad to replace the laptop, 10" are big enough, with the smartcover or something similiar I would have a stable stand when I need to hold it and not just keep it in my hands, for example. I love the touchscreens, I like the virtual keyboards but I also appreciate the possibility to connect a physical keyboard to the iPad to write documents or long comments in formus and blogs.

I've heard about someone that replaced even his desktop PC with an iPad but that can't be my case for the use that I do.
    So, do you think that an iPad in this case could replace a laptop or there is a risk to repeat the frustrating experience that I had with the smartphones during another hypotetical period of prolonged use? Of course I will use it more than the previous laptop, apps, games, reading books etc, surf the web on the couch using the iPad instead of the smartphone (even if I actually enjoy that experience in a short time). And, last but not least,to introduce my mom to tecnologies because she finds difficoult to use a laptop or a dektop pc but touschreen and the friendly user interface of iOS will be way easier to understand.

Do you have any experience?
  2. macrumors 6502a

SnowLeopard OSX

Dec 5, 2012
    I'd have a difficult time replacing my notebook/laptop with a tablet device. Both are pretty useful in the long haul, but notebooks provide a good amount of portability + heavy computing ability while tablets eliminate the heavy computing ability entirely.
  3. macrumors 6502

Feb 7, 2010
    As an engineering student, il tell you my take on it.

ive got a desktop and a laptop and an ipad.

The ipad can replace the laptop by overtaking the following functions
    web browsing
    pdf reading
    note taking
    light/moderate gaming
    email and chatting
    reference(calculators converters and other such apps)

what the ipad cannot do
    is Programming, MATLAB/MPLAB/LTSPICE/ELECTRIC and simulators for circuits

the ipad cannot completely replace my laptop

i need both or all 3 on occasion. if i have to present a sketch or a rough draft the ipad can do it with a drawing but when the technical simulation rolls around my laptop has to be there. My desktop is for real heavy simulations and calculations if ever.

so no, the ipad cannot replace the laptop depending on your work

if you are a writer or a graphic artist it probably could
  4. macrumors 604

Sep 17, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    I've found that tablets are more consumption devices than creative devices. They're great for watching tv shows, reading, browsing the web and playing casual games... But for real work you really do need a real computer.
  5. macrumors regular

May 31, 2010
    There are SO many threads on this. I'm too tired to even type a response. :p
  6. thread starter macrumors member

Dec 10, 2012
    In fact, I used my laptop for note taking, occasionally web browsing, old games, watching videos etc. I leave the "hard work" for the desktop pc, so I guess that I will not miss the laptop with an high-end tablet that I could use even for more activities like books/magazines reading and others.

At the end you did, even if it's a useless one, you're not so tired, after all. :p
  7. macrumors 6502

Jul 25, 2012
    But not too tired to type that? :p
  8. macrumors 6502a

Oct 29, 2007
    Like you, I found my iPhone convenient and often used it over my laptop even when just sitting at home. However, the screen is too small for constant use. Websites without a custom mobile version require constant zooming, and trying to tap small buttons is frustrating.

I have suspected for a while that I could replace my laptop with an iPad. I finally decided to give it a try about a week ago. I am happy that I did, because it is working fantastically.

I do have a Mac mini, which is connected to my TV and used for my home theatre. I migrated my MacBook user folder to it and plan to sell my MacBook. The Mac mini performs the PC-only functions, such as BitTorrent, usenet downloading, and importing my music CDs and photos from my digital camera. Otherwise, I strictly use my new iPad. Between the native apps, Pages, and Numbers, I can do everything I used to on my MacBook.
  9. macrumors 65816

Dec 11, 2009
    I sold my MacBook Pro because my iPad is more than capable of handling all of MY personal computer needs when on the go. Paired with my iMac and iPhone, it's a lovely family.
  10. macrumors 6502

Jul 10, 2010
    If price wasn't an issue is opt for a MBA over my ipad :( miss my ol MacBook