Replace AGP or get second PCI Graphics card?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by cheapnis, Aug 21, 2005.

1. cheapnis macrumors newbie

I've got an ancient G4 400 Gigabit Ethernet with a Sonnet 1.2 GHz upgrade and the original ATI Radeon graphics card - I've had a villagetronic MPDD+ as a second PCI graphics card for the last few years but with Tiger it's no longer working properly. . . I get stripes, lines and dots. The screen is readable but it ain't pretty!

So I'm looking for either a replacement AGP card that will do dual monitors (spanning) or a second PCI graphics card. I'm not fussed about 3D games etc as I mostly use it for 2D and music making so I'm not looking to spend a fortune.

Can any reasonably priced PC AGP graphics cards be reliably flashed? I don't seem to see PCI graphics cards in the shops anymore - so if I go that route it would be something like the ATI Radeon 9200 PCI 128MB

Any advice? Thanks!

2. doucy2 macrumors 65816

doucy2

go with the ati 8500 64mb
    one of the best cards in my opinion for agp models
    i have one for sale if you are interested also

3. tweakers_suck macrumors regular

There are options for you.

I bought a pc-flashed-for-mac ATI Radeon 9200 AGP with 128 MB VRAM on ebay for $88 plus shipping. It works great. It is approximately equivalent to an ATI Radeon 9000 AGP.

You could buy this pc card and flash it yourself since you already have a pci video card.

4. cheapnis thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info and suggestions!

ATI have recently released the Radeon 9600 Mac and PC edition card and this seems like the best bet - as soon as I can find somebody that will sell me one in the UK! It seems pretty much tailor made for people like me with older G4 Powermacs and though not cheap - tho it should be less than the quoted $199 - it should also be trouble free.

Getting a new PCI card that totally outperforms my original AGP card seems a bit silly - also using up a PCI slot that I'll possibly need... So I think this is the way to go -especially as it means I don't have to hassle with flashing a PC card.
    cheers
    C