Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

td241

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2008
Hanover, NH
Hello All,

Sorry if this post overlaps with other posts, but I couldn't find the exact answer I'm looking for in my searches.

I have a 1.2GHz iBook G4 12" that I recently bought used from a friend for $200. It had been working fine. I shut the machine down and brought it to my mother's house to give it to her, and it was dead.

The iBook will not respond at all when attempting to turn the computer on. I used another battery and power cord, none of which made any difference. To the best of my knowledge, the iBook will also no longer charge any battery.

I also reset the PMU.

I'm not sure if the problem is the logic board or if it could maybe be a DC-in board, which I could take off (yet) another dead iBook I have. Or, could it be another problem I'm not thinking of?

Thanks for your help,

Thomas

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Hello All,

Sorry if this post overlaps with other posts, but I couldn't find the exact answer I'm looking for in my searches.

I have a 1.2GHz iBook G4 12" that I recently bought used from a friend for $200. It had been working fine. I shut the machine down and brought it to my mother's house to give it to her, and it was dead.

The iBook will not respond at all when attempting to turn the computer on. I used another battery and power cord, none of which made any difference. To the best of my knowledge, the iBook will also no longer charge any battery.

I also reset the PMU.

I'm not sure if the problem is the logic board or if it could maybe be a DC-in board, which I could take off (yet) another dead iBook I have. Or, could it be another problem I'm not thinking of?

Thanks for your help,

Thomas

Generally, an iBook with a dead DC-in board will still turn on with a known working battery. I might be wrong, but the DC-in board doesn't sound like the problem.

td241

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2008
Hanover, NH
I let the battery charge in my other ibook for a while, then put that battery back in the dead unit. it began working and even charging. I had reset the PMU earlier to no avail, so i'm not sure why the ibook changed its mind...

thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.