Replace dvdburner on MBP with harddrive?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by thestaton, Aug 17, 2006.

1. thestaton macrumors 6502

I don't know about you guys but 100gigs is not that much these days. Is there anyway to add a hard drive in place of the dvd player?

2. RichP macrumors 68000

RichP

I dont think its possible.

You know, there are 160gb drives out now, you could upgrade.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's not possible, there is only one jack for the HD cable, which is currently occupied.

I'm sure in the upcoming months the capacity of 2.5'' drives will increase by at least 50% to over 200 GB. In the mean time, you could buy yourself an external drive.

4. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Ahem, Firewire 800, ahem. Hehe, yeah Firewire 800 would be the way to go with Externals, the MBP's they have the 800 don't they? Well the 17" does. If you have the 15", get Firewire 400 if you'll be working on stuff and writing/reading data from the drive. Firewire actually bypasses the CPU which doesn't do overkill when working on CPU intensive projects. USB relies on the CPU though, so that's why its not really faster unless you're just sitting there.

5. Easy Rider macrumors member

No you can't.

You can on ThinkPad's, but I doubt you want one. On a ThinkPad T series they have a standard interface called "ultrabay" so you can swap the optical drive for another hard drive, or another battery. It's neat. I often shove a battery in there when I'm flying, or going to several labs in one day.

6. thestaton thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks guys! is it possible currently to get a firewire drive that can power itsself via the firewire? my theory its already hard enough to get your laptop on power overseas I don't want to have to now worry about 2 devices especially with a harddrive being sensitive.

I was looking for something around the 100gig mark that could be self powered so I could work on my Final Cut Studio projects while in Spain / Germany / Kuwait.

Thanks!

7. Easy Rider macrumors member

Sure you can!

Get a firewire powered 2.5 inch enclosure, and a nice 100 or larger GB 2.5 inch HD. Slap that mofo in there and you're set!

8. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

I know the PB G3's had two slots for battery and optical drives, but I've never heard of a Mac with more than one HDD, except of course PowerMac's.;)

9. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

You are absolutely right, no other mac system, except for the towers and desktops, have been capable of holding 2 or more HDD. Guess in the iMac G3's you could remove the CDROM and see if a HDD would fit... power would be the issue... just get a splitter.