Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mghostsoft

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2011
Redmond
Is it possible to replace the hard drive of iMac 27" (late 2012)?

I did remember somewhere on Apple official website stated that user can replace RAM of iMac 21" and both RAM and hard drive of iMac 27". But I can't find that page now. Besides, it's strange for iFixit not having teared down iMac 27" late 2012. And I couldn't find the answer on Google.

Thanks!

Nov 28, 2010
located
Only RAM was user replaceable on Aluminium iMacs since 2007, the 2012 21" iMac has no user replaceable RAM anymore, and can either be only preconfigured or later killed via pulling the screen off and and everything else.
The 2012 27" still has user replaceable RAM.
The Aluminium iMacs since 2007 had no user replaceable HDD, neither do they now.
iFixIt probably has not made a tear down yet, because they haven't gotten it yet. Or they are on holiday, those bastards.

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
Is it possible to replace the hard drive of iMac 27" (late 2012)?

I did remember somewhere on Apple official website stated that user can replace RAM of iMac 21" and both RAM and hard drive of iMac 27". But I can't find that page now. Besides, it's strange for iFixit not having teared down iMac 27" late 2012. And I couldn't find the answer on Google.

Thanks!

Sure if you don't mind invalidating your warranty and potentially throwing $2000+ down the drain by ruining your machine you can do anything you want.

iMac's are not intended to be user serviceable, some people don't mind risking it and some don't mind invalidating their warranty however either of those two things matter to you I'd say no don't touch it.

PeteJames

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2010
England
I wouldn't mind but leaving no reasonable options for SSD is a disgrace. No 250GB or 500GB options. Their fusion hard drives cost more than a 500GB Intel SSD. You can't really replace it yourself so if you want current technology it's £720 - Shameless Scammers :eek: I can't imagine having an spinning hard disc in my next computer.

Arfdog

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2013
I wouldn't mind but leaving no reasonable options for SSD is a disgrace. No 250GB or 500GB options. Their fusion hard drives cost more than a 500GB Intel SSD. You can't really replace it yourself so if you want current technology it's £720 - Shameless Scammers :eek: I can't imagine having an spinning hard disc in my next computer.

Most people wouldn't notice the difference.

kennyap

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2012
Cayman Islands

I totally agree with your ending statement. I swapped my 1TB for a Samsung 840 Pro myself, but I wouldn't recommend unless you're confident with this upgrade; these 2012 iMac screens are extremely delicate.
But I would recommend purchasing a fast SSD and having an Apple Authorized Service Provider do it for you. There's no downside to this besides the fee you pay them to do the upgrade.

aquinascontrol

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2013
replacing faulty HDD in 21.5"

my iMac broke down because of HDD. Apple Hardware Test reported error 4HDD/11/40000000: SATA(0,0). It's still on quarantee, worked almost half-year from me. I returned Mac to shop where I bought it and they are sent it to service facility. Question is, what are the chances that they will send me new Mac?

PeteJames

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2010
England
I totally agree with your ending statement. I swapped my 1TB for a Samsung 840 Pro myself, but I wouldn't recommend unless you're confident with this upgrade; these 2012 iMac screens are extremely delicate.
But I would recommend purchasing a fast SSD and having an Apple Authorized Service Provider do it for you. There's no downside to this besides the fee you pay them to do the upgrade.

How much would this cost do you think? If they break or scratch it can I make them buy me a new one. Interestingly apple have given some more (still very expensive) SSD options recently.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
my iMac broke down because of HDD. Apple Hardware Test reported error 4HDD/11/40000000: SATA(0,0). It's still on quarantee, worked almost half-year from me. I returned Mac to shop where I bought it and they are sent it to service facility. Question is, what are the chances that they will send me new Mac?

why would they send you a new Mac? They will repair the broken one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.