replace hard drive on ibook

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by toaster_oven, Jul 24, 2004.

1. macrumors regular

hi-

my hard drive is pretty much shot on my ibook (G3 700MHz)... i've been running off an external for a while now but have been too busy to get the HD replaced...

i was wondering how much it would cost to get the HD replaced (and possibly the controller)... i'm not about to do it myself.

can i purchase a 3rd party HD and ask apple to replace it, or do i go to them and say "put this HD in my computer"... or should i go someplace else like compusa?

any help would be greatly appreciated...

-TO

2. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

Check out this thread, among, I'm sure, others.

Seems like it won't cost you all that much.

3. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

Here is another one.

Sure you don't want to try it yourself? Doesn't sound all that bad...

4. macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...just to clarify -jsw's links refer to a 12" powerbook hard drive upgrade (at least the link I checked). While similar, it is not quite the same as with the iBook...here's a link for installing iBook hard drive that should show you how much work is involved....not nearly as bad as with the early clamshell iBooks....oh yeah!

5. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

My bad. Although the 1st link specifically mentions 700MHz iBooks (G3's, I think), the 2nd one doesn't. And neither is especially useful, except to provide some good member names to PM for details.

6. macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

Doing it yourself is easy, but it takes a LOT of patience and a digital camera. I did mine (and a superdrive upgrade) in about an hour total.

If your comfortable with it, do it yourself. Its not that bad.

7. macrumors G4

Mord

you can do it it just takes a while nothing is that sensitive you dont even have to toutch the logic board just make sure not to loose any screws get a service manual (which i can give to you over ichat hectoruk@mac.com) and print it out placeing the screws on the print out where they are suposed to go.

it will take a while but nothing can really go that wrong, just keep liquids away and dont put undue pressure on things.