Replace harddrive is there Ghost for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cighh, May 22, 2006.

1. cighh macrumors newbie

May 22, 2006
    greetings - I'm new to Macs (long time Windows and Linux user)

What is the procedure for replacing the harddrive in a Macbook? (my new one is clicking (like the heads-parking-sound - but does it every 20-60secs) - I may just replace it with another - with larger capacity).

(not the hardware install procedure - but the format and data transfer procedure)

(Ive done this numerous times on a PC using Ghost - attaching both drives to box simultaneously etc)

(another way to transfer the data in pcs - is to install the original drive in an external usb chassis - and connect after the new OS load on the new drive)

Also - does any one know if you do a "clean reinstall" of OS10.4.6 - will it reload iLife?

thanks - JM
    (loving the Macbook and OSx/bsd-unix - a little dissapointed in the few issues)
  2. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    If the HDD is buggered you should call Apple and get them to check it out - you have a warranty for a reason.

As for cloning programs, check out Carbon Copy Cloner, Deja Vu, there's quite a number of them.

To do a clean install, you simply load your restore disc into the MacBook and follow the instructions accordingly, it will reload everything that came with your Mac.
  3. Queso macrumors G4

Mar 4, 2006
    If you have a USB or Firewire external drive it's very easy. Use SilverKeeper, a free app from LaCie. It works with any drive that mounts on the OSX desktop and produces a complete clone of the hard disk.

Then once you've installed the new HD, just boot from the external drive and run the app again to clone the data back.

EDIT: And the Gold medal goes to.....Chundles!!!! <sound of crowds cheering>