Replace HD

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ang8385, Aug 8, 2004.

1. ang8385 macrumors member

Does anyone know how to replace the 12 inch Powerbook hard drive? I was thinking to replace with a better one later. Currently mine is 60GB (4200), are 5400 & 7200rpm a lot better than 4200 ??

Advice needed

2. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

3. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....this topic comes up all the time...you will see a speed boost with a faster drive but you also *may* see a decrease in battery life....and check out this link at xlr8yourmac for the "how to..." should you decide to proceed. Oh, and it will void your warranty too.....oh yeah!

4. ang8385 thread starter macrumors member

Thankx dude....i guess i'll just leave it there

5. blank_page macrumors newbie

HDD Swap

Hey, try this site:

http://www.kodawarisan.com/PowerBook/10.html

It's a pictorial sequence on the disassembly of a Rev.B 12" PBG4. Don't think that understanding Japanese is really important, but use Sherlock and copy/paste for a rough translation.

I used the 17" PBG4 pictorial as a guide to disassemble my Rev.B 17" PBG4 1.3GHz. Only word of caution is beware the ribbon connectors. Am now happily running a Hitachi 5K80 5,400rpm HDD in the self-same PB, and have not noticed any significant losses in battery-running times.

Good luck.

Nicholas

6. hobbes3113 macrumors regular

hobbes3113

Where did you find a pictoral guide for the 17". I have tried looking everyplace that I can think of.

Hobbes

7. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

i can give people any service manual they want which have take apart guides in them.

but i can only send them over ichat file transfer or ftp them to you if you have a server, no emailing there too big (15MB approx)

8. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

9. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

My Powerbook's drive has started to whine a bit. Time to back up my iTunes purchases.... :(

10. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

Replacing the HD will void your warranty and swapping out a 12" PB drive is probably not easy. However, I have heard of people that have successfully upgraded theirs to a 7200 RPM HD and have seen a significant improvement in speed. If you're up for it, do it - just remember your warranty.

JOD8FY