Replace HDD in 12" PowerBook

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by masterapple04, Jul 8, 2005.

1. masterapple04 macrumors regular

Has anyone here replaced/upgraded the hard drive in their 12" PB? I'm curious as to how difficult it is, as 40GB is starting to feel a little small... :cool:

2. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

It's kinda hard for iBooks, so I can't imaging how hard it is for normal people on a Powerbook. But then again, I never even opened my computer, as you know. :D

BTW, I e-mailed you last night!

3. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

It's a bitch! I've just recently replaced the HD on my 12" PB (from 40GB 4200 RPM to 80GB 5400 RPM - woohoo!). Check out this well illustrated guide on what you have to do. I didn't bother and just paid somebody else to do it for me, an hour later and £20 lighter I was on my way. Much less stress.

4. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

I did it, My harddrive died, and the powerbook was out of warrenty. I put in a 100GB 5400rpm segate drive. Pain in the rear. I striped the emi finger screw, screwed up the keyboard, and my tiger dvd would not eject. But I was still able to get everything back and in one piece and working eventually.

The guide the other user posted is a good one.

5. masterapple04 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks to all. I'm only considering, but I do like to tinker... :cool:

6. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Just make sure you have all the necessary tools before you start and whatever you do, don't lose any screws!

7. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Hey, are you going to be on AIM today? I'll tell you a story about me trying to replace my old clamshell's HD with a bigger one. It's funny. When are you going to be on?