Replace my Nano? how?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by spacepower7, Oct 11, 2005.

1. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

How should I ask for a replacement/refund from Apple?

Kindly or rudely?

My family has spent well over $10,000 +plus, directly from the Apple Store in the past 2 years.

The nano was our 5th iPod, and the scratches and blemishes are worse than our 2001 1st G 5GB iPod. How can that be, since it has never left our house? The nano was more scratched in 3 days than a 1st G iPod in 3 years and 10 months?

I want a replacement or a refund.

Apple can refurb my scratched nano and still sell it again for 90% of what i paid.

How do I approach this situation with Apple?

First talk to the manager, then what?

2. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

Talk the manager, and always start out kindly. Explain your situation to them, and ask what they can do to help you. If what he says isn't sufficient, suggest to him what you think he should do. I wouldn't make a scene, or be rude unless you've tried everything else. People will be much more willing to help you, if you are polite and appreciative about it.

3. spacepower7 thread starter macrumors 68000

I Agree

I Agree

I will try to do everything rationally. It's just that I have had bad experiences in my local Apple Store, rude service and refusing to contact the manager, even when I hold 7000 dollars in receipts in my hand. Sometimes they are great and sometimes they suck.

I will be polite.
    I will let you know what happens.

peace :)

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Counts for nothing to Apple. Really.

Consider this: If you go by the theory that the customer who has spent the most should get extra consideration or freebies, you will have to stand in line behind every school, university or company who has spent $100's of thousands and millions on Apple product. I do up to $10,000 per month in Apple purchases. Should I get a benefit that you would be denied because I spend 10 - 20 times what your family does? Thought not.

Well, that's the nub of the question. Since it accumulated scratches while in your posession, Apple can't say how it can be.

A warranty covers defects in materials or workmanship -- not performance in use or retention of the glossy new shine. Your argument is that the plastic or the finish is defective, causing the unit to be unreasonably cosmetically degraded while in normal use.

Your job is to get Apple to agree to that position, and it won't be the store manager that can make that call. The manager may havs a small discretionary budget for customer satisfaction, but they cannot set Apple policy on warranty coverage.

(Plus, if it were an independent Apple dealer, they would have made a GROSS profit of, say, $500 on your $10K in purchases, and maybe $20 on the Nano. So are they going to eat the costs on the return of a non-defective unit? NO way.)

5. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

Abso-freakin-lutely right! I'm so tired of the "I've spent $5000 (or 10 or 40) at Apple" nonsense. None of this amounts to anything important to them, and it doesn't matter to us, either. Same with the "a $250 music player shouldn't scratch" load of crap.

Your spending of a trivial amount of money doesn't entitle you to better treatment, and the price of a consumer electronics product doesn't have any relationship to its ability to be cosmetically marred. It's not some cheap, shoddily assembled nightmare of a product--then you might be able to argue that it's overpriced.

Scratches are totally cosmetic and totally the responsibility of the owner. I own a nano and I haven't seen anything to suggest that Apple is lying about what it's made of. I haven't seen any nano that has been as horribly scratched after careful use as people seem to want to claim (flash photography aside, where even perfectly normal-looking surfaces appear scratched to all hell). Unless your nano is somehow made differently than the 22 million plus other iPods that have been sold and therefore is defective, then you've got no right to replacement. The scratches were caused in your possession, period.

6. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

i have seen the nanos and they don't scratch that bad, just as bad as my 3G. Take care of them and they wont scratch, just like my 4G is always in a case

7. spacepower7 thread starter macrumors 68000

well said

Well Said CanadaRAM

I agree with everything you said.

I agree that Apple will not respond to every case like mine and that it is my own responsibility to persue it.

Why should Apple replace my iPod nano and not everyone elses?

Well, good question..

"Consider this: If you go by the theory that the customer who has spent the most should get extra consideration or freebies, you will have to stand in line behind every school, university or company who has spent $100's of thousands and millions on Apple product. I do up to $10,000 per month in Apple purchases."

Well, I have yet to see any Uni or Corp complain about iPod nano's?
    YET :)

I am not pickin fights with anyone, I just know my family has spent over 10,000 dollars in the past 2 years on Apple Computers and i just want them to replace a defective 250 dollar product.

Hmmm pre 2003

pre2003
    B/W 400
    1pismo
    1 lombard
    1 ibook clamshell original
    2 se/30's
    1 color classics
    7500 PM
    8100 PM
    Quadra 840/AV

and more

PLease Apple give me a break

8. spacepower7 thread starter macrumors 68000

ok

this thread is not about if nano's have problems
    BC
    Most people who actually own agree that they do.

if you don't own one or cannot contribute something useful then bugger off

if you have any suggestions for talking to Apple people and helping the situation, then please contribute. :)

9. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

Actually, most of the nano's one million and growing customers haven't made a single complaint. In fact, no more than a few thousand have complained (less than 1%, then). It's something that the media wants to capitalize on and that people want to whine about. All iPods have scratches, because almost every substance known to man scratches.

The scratches on your nano are your fault, and there's no reason to take it to Apple. They have no reason to replace yours or offer a refund. If you're lucky, they might offer you a set of nano tubes at the most while apologizing that you're unhappy. But you've got a lot of nerve trying to get money out of Apple for absolutely no credible reason, especially since your next nano is also going to scratch and there's no way you're getting a refund for a perfectly functional product.

And as much as the PM telling me not to comment was enjoyable, had you RTFP, you'd see that I do own one.

10. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

I'm afraid I have to agree with the rest in this thread. Most likely, the scratches did not magically appear over night. In other words its your own fault. However, this doesn't mean that you shouldn't bug apple about it. It looks terrible and they should've put some more effort into making the ipod more scratch resistant.

Its worth a shot! Go for it. And please keep us posted! :D

11. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Use Brasso polish. Works wonders on the scratches (plastic and chrome). Costs $2.19 at Ace Hardware (it was on sale). You'd probably spend that much or more on the gas to go return it to the Apple Store.

12. toezter macrumors regular

toezter

amen.

13. jane doe macrumors 6502

Talking to Apple

Never be rude.. you will come closer to getting what you want from anyone by being nice. The goal is to get the guy at the apple store to agree with you... They always want to help, but what you want them to do is bend the rules for you...

Since you are trying to get them to do something they would not normally do, you have to give them something to back up what they do for you and how much money you've spent in the past will not do it.

Trying to get them to bend the rules based off of how much money you spent is like telling them that you are better then the other customers becuse you have more money.. Thats class warfare.

See what the store will do for you. I'm sure they can help you