Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MonksMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
DFW
The hard drive in my 4th Gen iPod w/color screen died a few months ago. It was replaced earlier today. The battery was completely discharged after sitting for so long. After the new replacement drive was in I tried to get the battery charged up. However when I connect it to the iPod Power Adapter it just restarts itself over and over with the folder icon. When it is connected to to a computer it just has a battery icon.

Attachments

• Picture 026.jpg
    Picture 026.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 74

hatehereyes

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2008
Moreno Valley, Ca
The hard drive in my 4th Gen iPod w/color screen died a few months ago. It was replaced earlier today. The battery was completely discharged after sitting for so long. After the new replacement drive was in I tried to get the battery charged up. However when I connect it to the iPod Power Adapter it just restarts itself over and over with the folder icon. When it is connected to to a computer it just has a battery icon.

Did you try reseating the hard drive connector?

My ipod was doing that a few days ago and after a few times of reseating the ribbon it finally worked.

Or maybe it just got disconnected while putting it back together and you didn't notice?

MonksMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
DFW
Did you try reseating the hard drive connector?

My ipod was doing that a few days ago and after a few times of reseating the ribbon it finally worked.

Or maybe it just got disconnected while putting it back together and you didn't notice?

I wasn't actually the one that replaced it, my father did and asked me to do the restore. I'm not sure if it is the hard drive because it spins up when it is connected to the power adapter.

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
is it responsive at all when not connected to any power source? dad may have disconnected or damaged the battery or its connection to the logic board. ? I would open it up and take a look at all the connection. But first, I would leave it plugged in overnight to make sure it has an adequate charge.

MonksMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
DFW
is it responsive at all when not connected to any power source? dad may have disconnected or damaged the battery or its connection to the logic board. ? I would open it up and take a look at all the connection. But first, I would leave it plugged in overnight to make sure it has an adequate charge.

There is no response when it is not connected. It has been hooked to my Mini for a few hours and there is still no response. I don't think it was good to leave the battery so drained...:(
I don't think the battery is charging at all, because the back doesn't get warm like it usually does.

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
OK. I'd open it back up and check the battery. Make sure the connector is still plugged in the logic board. If it is, it may be a good idea to buy a new battery from a website like ipodjuice.com (I recommend them). a new battery is about $30, and with an ipod of that vintage, it's probably due for a new battery anyhow.

hatehereyes

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2008
Moreno Valley, Ca
He might have not put the battery connector on the correct pins on the logic board. I did that with my 5th gen ipod and eventually broke up the pins on the motherboard.

If he does take it apart again tell him to check the pins and make sure they are still stiff.
If not then it might just be the batter.

Rather then ipodjuice.com check out ifixit.com, I got my 5th gen battery from them and it only came out to $19 and some change.

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
4th gen ipod's battery attaches completely differently than the 5th gen. it's not on the bottom part of the ipod like the 5th gen, but rather hidden underneath the hard drive. but, that doesn't mean it isn't broken!

MonksMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
DFW
Before the HD problem the battery was great and routinely got the same performance that it originally had. Perhaps it was not wise to let it get completely discharged, but I didn't know where it was for a while since my dad was using it after I got a new iPod. I probably won't have a chance to check out the iPod again until Friday because I'm really busy with school now. If I run into anymore roadblocks I'll post in this thread again.
Thanks guys.:D

MonksMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
DFW
Well, I had a chance to open up the iPod tonight. All the connections are good and connected. I reconnected the HD several times and the battery several times. The connection is not the problem.
Is there any way to get a drained battery to recharge or is a replacement the only option?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.