Replaced my wired router; now I can't reach Internet

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by PaulinMaryland, Aug 5, 2006.

1. PaulinMaryland macrumors regular

May 17, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    For years, my home network has been held together by a single wired router, a 4-port Linksys. Today I swapped it out for a used 8-port Linksys--same basic model, just more ports. Each computer can see the other computers (3 PCs and 1 Mac), but no computer can reach the Internet.

With the 4-port, I could (can) log in to the router, using "admin" for both the username and password. That would get me into this configuration screen, and I was home free.

Well, "admin" doesn't work on the new router. Did the previous owner burn a new username and password into its ROM?

I've pressed the router's Reset button, figuring that doing so would let me reach the configuration screen without a password or username. It didn't. Maybe I didn't press Reset the right way or the right time, or didn't hold it in long enough.

Any suggestions before my family burns me at the stake?
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Try holding the reset button for longer or try holding it as you power it up. That might have a better reset effect. :)
  3. VanMac macrumors 6502a

May 26, 2005
    Rampaging Tokyo
    You can dl the user manualy from linksys. This should provide you the step by step instructions you need.