Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

douziel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2006
Hi, after receiving my MacBook in the mail, and before turning it on, I replaced my Macbook HD with a 120GB and sealed everything up. I turned it on and inserted the OS X install CD that came with it and nothing happened. Please help!

douziel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2006
realityisterror said:
Once the CD is in, shut it off. Turn it on again while holding the C key on your keyboard.

I held down the C key for about two minutes, and during that time the cd was spinning and the fans were on, and then it suddenly stopped. the sleep light is still on and its been about five minutes and nothing has happened. Should I wait longer?

Monkaaay

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2006
Richmond, VA
Oh geez, this scares me! I'm planning to do the same very soon. You didn't boot up and run the machine for a bit before swapping the hard drive???

douziel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2006
Monkaaay said:
Oh geez, this scares me! I'm planning to do the same very soon. You didn't boot up and run the machine for a bit before swapping the hard drive???
Should I of?

Fleetwood Mac

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2006
Canada
douziel said:
I held down the C key for about a minute and nothing happened. Should I wait longer?
It should have loaded the grey apple by then. What did it look like?

A grey screen?

A grey screen with an Apple?
startup-screen.gif

Or a blank display?

douziel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2006
iDuck said:
It should have loaded the grey apple by then. What did it look like?

A grey screen?

A grey screen with an Apple?
startup-screen.gif

Or a blank display?
A blank display - when i pressed the power button the screen flashed for an instant but went to black.

Fleetwood Mac

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2006
Canada
douziel said:
A blank display - when i pressed the power button the screen flashed for an instant but went to black.
If it doesn't load EFI than there's a problem.

Put the orignal HDD back in, boot, and tell me what happens.

douziel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2006
iDuck said:
If it doesn't load EFI than there's a problem.

Put the orignal HDD back in, boot, and tell me what happens.

Hmm...i took out the old one and put in the new one. but it was in crooked and when I tried pulling it out I accidentaly pulled off that white tab and now I can't get it out...great

Fleetwood Mac

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2006
Canada
douziel said:
Hmm...i took out the old one and put in the new one. but it was in crooked and when I tried pulling it out I accidentaly pulled off that white tab and now I can't get it out...great
Ouch. Well I don't know what else to tell you to do. If you can't load the subsystem than its likely that there isn't anything you can do. I'd tell you to take it in, but there should be a blue paint on the screws you removed from the origanal hard drive. When you take them (the screws) out the paint is mostly removed. Its called secuirty paint, and Apple can use it to point the blame on you.

Unless someone else has a better suggestion, you'll have to try and get that other drive in.

EDIT: Is the drive crooked now?

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
douziel said:
Hi, after receiving my MacBook in the mail, and before turning it on, I replaced my Macbook HD with a 120GB and sealed everything up. I turned it on and inserted the OS X install CD that came with it and nothing happened. Please help!
A bit late for you now, but a hint for any new machine purchaser:
Always turn your new machine on and run it in completely stock condition for a while before you make any modifications -- such as installing Bootcamp or other software (are you reading this, dmurray?), installing RAM or upgrading the hard drive. Go ahead and run the Apple Hardware test on it as well.

Otherwise, how can you prove your machine was DOA from Apple, if it doesn't work? Once you monkey with it, there's a chance that you'd do damage on your own, or that the SW or HW you're installing won't play nice. Either way, you don;t want to introduce too many variables at one time, because it makes troubleshooting a @^#@%.

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
douziel said:
I'm sorry guys, I guess I didn't know what I was doing. It seemed pretty simple from the video I saw of the guy replacing the RAM and pulling out the hard drive.....

Actually it is a simple procedure. All you do is pull out the original one, which takes no force at all, then slide in the new one. It's actually easier than replacing the ram which was a bugger to get into the slots.

One thing I want to ask (and apologies if it sounds dumb it's not meant to) when you pulled out the original hdd there is a metal plate with a white tab attached to it screwed to the hdd..... did you take that plate off and screw it onto the replacement hdd or was there already one, exactly the same, on it?

Replacement SATA hdd don't come with that plate here, so of course (and the video you mentioned doesn't show that) one must unscrew the four screws from the metal plate (which covers only one side of the hdd and has the rubber track on it that enable one to slide it in and out of the MacBook) and re-attach it to the new hdd.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.