replacement battery

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Labi, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Labi macrumors regular

Why can't ipod make a cheap replacement battery such are on mobile phones? I have a Sony Ericsson w800i walkman phone which plays for 8-10 hours with EQ on and the volume at max. After a year and a half, I replaced the battery. It cost me 5 eur. I don't see the battery on a Nano being more superior therefore I don't see a reason for it to be far more expensive. Thoughts?

2. elisha cuthbert macrumors 6502a

elisha cuthbert

i think you mean "why cant APPLE make....."
    but you can get cheap replacement ipod batterys from many places, and all you have to do is find a service center that will or if its that bad you can get apple to replace it

3. Labi thread starter macrumors regular

I was talking about original iPod batteries. Maybe i should rephrase my question. Here it is: "Why are iPod batteries so expensive?"

4. elisha cuthbert macrumors 6502a

elisha cuthbert

because apple want you to spent the extra 99AUD to buy the protection plan to cover it until it dies, and ipod batteries are so expensive because most of them are really good quality

5. Labi thread starter macrumors regular

Sony Ericsson batteries are also really good quality. But they cost 5 eur.

6. elisha cuthbert macrumors 6502a

elisha cuthbert

and how many people own a sony ericsson verses an iPod
    i think you will find that sony will win out of that one easily for at least a couple more years but the thing I have found with the sony ericsson batterys i bought is that they were of a sub standard quality to nokia and even motorolla and that was at least $50AUD

7. NeoMac macrumors regular

NeoMac

I think one of the reasons everything seems more expensive for apple products is the level of perceived quality. I purchased a 3rd party iPod battery for my 3G iPod and it cost me about $40 bucks. But compared to the $300 I spent on the iPod it was a bargin.

8. Labi thread starter macrumors regular

You're both justifying the price because of the better quality while I also am talking about a high quality Sony Ericsson battery, which is 7 times cheaper than the third party $40 bucks bargain.

9. Labi thread starter macrumors regular

What. No one else wants to add their opinion about this matter? Am I the only who thinks that the iPod battery is too expensive?:confused:

10. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

If Sony Ericsson batteries are so cheap, then why do you think don't they make iPod batteries for $20 and make lots of money? Could it just be that they are different kinds of batteries?

11. Labi thread starter macrumors regular

Different in what? In price they sure are. As I said earlier, the SE battery gives me 10 hours of music with the EQ on and the volume to the top.

12. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

13. Labi thread starter macrumors regular

14. ipodcentral112 macrumors regular

Ipod batteries are more difficult to install and apple pretty much hada monopoly on them because they are one of the few that will actually replace the battery for you!

15. Labi thread starter macrumors regular

I agree. But doesn't that make you feel like you're being ripped off? You're paying a high price for the battery only because Apple made it difficult to replace?

16. aquajet macrumors 68020

Pretty much. A lot of that cost is related to labor. Apple doesn't sell iPod batteries to end users.

If you want a lower-cost solution, buy a third-party battery. Most have a higher capacity than the Apple battery. The rub, however, is that it's a bit tricky to replace. But it's worth it. I've got the NewerTech battery in my 3G iPod.

17. ipodcentral112 macrumors regular

I have been buying and selling apple ipod parts for about three years now and i have many original ipod batteries with great life. If you are at all interested in one of these shoot me a PM and i can work out a deal for you and you can be sure that you wont be paying as much as you would for a third party battery or from apple. I could include installation instructions that make its easy and painless. Anyway not saying you have to buy one from me, but maybe this should be moved the market place where you can get a battery for cheaper than thrid party companies!

Thanks,
    Jason

18. Labi thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply. But this thread wasn't about me finding a cheaper battery. I wanted to see how many iPod users agree with me that the battery costs way too much. That's why I made a comparison with a mobile phone battery.

You used the perfect word. "Tricky" :) The iPod realy looks sealed as it is, but once you open it, with propper tools off course, you'll see that it's a piece of cake. That's why I think Apple should sell the battery to the end user together with the replacement instructions thus cutting the labor costs.

Thanks for your offer. I have a 3G iPod with a pretty much drained battery and am not planing to put more money in it since I also have a lovely Shuffle and also the SE Walkman. But as I said earlier, this thread isn't about finding a cheaper battery.

19. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

If Sony makes many batteries for Dell and Apple, who do you think makes them for Sony Ericsson. :rolleyes: There's a reason those two companies paired up in this business area, and it wasn't Sony's huge expertise in mobile phone software.

I for one don't think that Apple should sell batteries to end users. Third party kits are easy enough to get for anyone willing to attempt this tricky process.

B

20. ipodcentral112 macrumors regular

Yea there are plenty of 3rd party battereies out their, and i dont believe apple does sell batteries out right to end user, they just replace them for end users!

21. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

I totally agree with this thread. Yesterday I went to the Apple store and asked them how much battery replacement would cost on my iPod Mini. The answer: $70. Looks like I'll stick with my iRecharge for now.

22. Labi thread starter macrumors regular

You missed my point. It's not about Sony or Sony Ericsson in particular. It's about a battery which costs 5 euro and has served me much longer than the iPod battery. Call it whatever you want. To me that's a high quality battery. Plus it's cheap. I can replace it every two months and still be cheaper then replacing the iPod battery every two years.

23. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

And you missed my point. So you've gotten lucky and had some decent batteries for your cell phone. Maybe the next 5 Euro battery you buy will explode in your pocket like the recent Dell batteries or the older Nokia problems. They are made by the same people and technology is not infallible.

Furthermore, different batteries serve different purposes. Cell phone batteries don't have to deal with hard drives, unlike those in full size and iPod minis and thus have very different use profiles. Do you have any empirical evidence that your 5 Euro Sony Ericsson battery would work at all if used in an iPod?

B

24. ipodcentral112 macrumors regular

I agree

25. Labi thread starter macrumors regular

Maybe. Who knows. Let's leave the hypothetical discussion aside.

Nano has no hard drive, and the SE W800i is a walkman phone not just a cell phone. They both use 3.7v lithium-polymer batteries. The SE is 900mAh and the Nano is 400 mAh, which off course has to do with the thickness since the SE is probably twice as thick. It's still 7 times cheaper.

I wasn't even trying to prove that.