Replacement for Apple's spell checker?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Quobobo, Nov 25, 2004.

1. Quobobo macrumors member

Oct 21, 2003
    I was wondering if it's possible to somehow replace (or enhance) the built-in spell checker that comes with OSX. I absolutely hate the built-in one, it constantly picks out the most obvious things. It can't even recognize the date format Mail uses (like "25-Nov-04"), let alone things like line dividers made of * symbols, or URLs.

Although, I just find it amusing that the Canadian dictionary doesn't contain such cutting-edge terms as "email". At least that's easily solved.
  2. macdaddy23 macrumors newbie

Oct 17, 2004
    It's not like it makes you change the word. Just puts red dots under the word. I can't really see how that bothers you so much..
  3. iindigo macrumors 6502a

Jul 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Yeah... and if it really bothers you THAT bad, you can just right-click the word and click "Learn Spelling"...
  4. Quobobo thread starter macrumors member

Oct 21, 2003
    Great idea. I'll just do that for every URL possible, OK?

In response to the other comment, sure, I can live with it, but I'd rather have it not pick out every URL/etc. when I spell check documents. Gets annoying quickly for anything of any length.