Replacement harddrive for new powerbook

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by ooagentbender, Jan 13, 2003.

1. ooagentbender macrumors member

I was just wondering if there are after market hard drives for the powerbooks that are larger than 60gigs. I know ther would probably be expensive considering their size but stupid questions are my strong suite.

Take it easy.

2. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    as far as i know, 60 gb is the largest internal drive that will fit a tibook.

3. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I think currently 60GB is the biggest available for internal usage...

I don't think an 80GB is too far off though...but I'm not completely down with all the developer info... ;)

4. peter2002 macrumors 6502

Travelstar 80 GN

Hitachi now own IBM's HD business. They have a new drive for notebooks called the Travelstar 80 GN. It holds 80 GB.

http://www.hgst.com/hdd/travel/tr80gn.htm

That is the biggest HD for notebooks for now. It is 2.5" wide. I think it will fit into a PowerBook. I am not sure on the dimensions on the PowerBook HD. I own an eMac.

I read somewhere at Tomshardware that a 120-160 GB HD for notebooks will be out by this Summer. These new drives use that magic "pixie dust" which doubles the capacity.

Pete
    :D

5. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Grr...IBM's "pixie dust" has been around for a while...its technology is used in the Travelstar 40 GNX today...

Anyway, does anyone know how one would go about replacing the HD on the new Alubooks? Because I don't see any screws that one would unscrew...am I missing something here?

[​IMG]

6. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

7. peter2002 macrumors 6502

"Screws?" It's riveted shut like an airplane! (he he). Shoot just by an external firewire drive like that new FirePower.

8. ooagentbender thread starter macrumors member

The firewire drive would be a good idea but if Im traveling I don't want to have that in my briefcase with me. I still need room for the ipod im going to purchase. :)