Replacement Headphones

Discussion in 'iPod' started by pjkelnhofer, Nov 10, 2005.

1. pjkelnhofer macrumors 6502a

pjkelnhofer

The headphones for my wife's mini were destroyed by getting caught in a car door. She wants to replace them with exactly the same thing, but I don't see the standard headphones that come with the iPod listed anywhere on Apple's site.

Are the availible?

Thanks.

2. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

I don't think you can buy JUST the original earphones.

You might try these other apple-made ones though I can't attest to the quality of them; I just browsed real quick on Apple's site.

3. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

hmmm...that's weird, they don't seem to have them on their web store, i know they do in the retail stores if there are any by you....here's one that also has a little remote on it, but tfor that price i'd go with the Sony's i have, for the same price or $10 more you get much better sound and they block exterior noise. Here is a link that has a few variations of the same headphones :)

4. Lopez.T.H. macrumors regular

Unless ur willing to drop $30 for a new pair. They are on the site somewhere.

5. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I've read here on MR that sometimes if you just go in and ask nicely, or phone in to AppleCare they will send you a replacement.

6. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

7. Lau Guest

You can buy them new and sealed on eBay I believe.

8. mms macrumors 6502a

Two posts up is the link to the Apple Store. They only sell them with the remote, and it's actually quite expensive. IMO they're not really worth that much and unless your wife really wants to keep the original look, it might be worth looking into another set of earbuds/headphones that will give you more bang for the buck. While the white earbuds are quite a fashion item, as I understand it to be, in terms of functionality they're not exactly the greatest earbuds around.

9. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

If the Mini is still covered under its warranty then you can get replacements for free. You can do this through the iPod support site. Go to http://www.apple.com/support/ipod and scroll down until you find "Request service online" on the right hand of the page. Follow the steps and fill out the information requested. I got a new pair of earbuds in less then a week.

10. mms macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure if the warranty idea is that great, since the program is meant to replace defective products. Apple probably will not replace them since it was not a problem with the quality of the earbuds but an accident caused by the user. The company is not responsible for that kind of trouble and thus the earbuds are not covered under AppleCare.

11. davefan6435 macrumors regular

I'd like to point out that if you do this, say theres something wrong with the headphones and they'll ship you a new pair no questions asked, I've done this many times because my friends are too stupid to figure it out for themselves. You don't have to send you headphones back to them in case you were worried about them finding out or something like that.

12. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Good point. Say there's a crackling or buzz at low/high frequencies (you choose) and that should cover it. If they ask to have you send them, just don't. They most likely will not, as the costs would be not worth it for them!

I wish I had done this with an old pair I had (when they really did crackle that is!)

13. jb007nd macrumors newbie

new headphones for free!

I filed for a new set of headphones on the apple site as well after i heard buzzing noises and i received a new pair the next day! excellent service from apple...you just need to fill out a little form. now i use my "defective" buzzing one for the gym and the new one when i'm on the go.

14. mms macrumors 6502a

I stand corrected. I still don't think that it's the right thing to do, since you're just taking advantage of the company's pretty liberal exchange policy, but if it works for you, then I guess you can just go ahead with it.

15. Konradx macrumors 6502

Konradx

they are so uncomfortable and low quality..why on earth would you ever buy a pair? I'd rather have dollar store headphones.

16. drater macrumors 6502a

drater

I bought ezears from the mac-pro website....they got here the other day, so good for only 20 bucks. I hate the apple headphones, hurt my ears and sounded like crap. If people want to talk about upgrades for the ipod, why the hell hasn't apple considered upgrading its headphones? I mean come on, we bought it to hear music, and now video, but to HEAR it is a big part of it...my ears are fragile, like a gingers skin is fragile....hahahaa (watch new south park if you don't get that)

17. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Mate, I own these. You have no idea! :)

18. drater macrumors 6502a

drater

for $200 bucks they better be friggin' amazing, like come with the girl in the advertisement.
    I just took ilounge.com's advice about the ezears, best headphones for the price...then searched and found it cheaper at a different website :D

edit: i don't think that girl is excited about the headphones, this is false advertisment, i wanna see the second half of the picture...that's what she's excited about!

19. Konradx macrumors 6502

Konradx

i use my old Sony MDR 250's for the commute and 10 year old MDR CD170's for home..i had awsome panasonic earbuds but they broke after 7 years..they went through hell..i want to possibly buy Sony's MDREX71SL Fontopia® Headphones though i kinda wanta boycott those meanies now. Only 80 bux:p But a friend has them and they sound BOMB!

http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/se...0n32260n100128n100133n100129&productId=165588

20. danny_w macrumors 601

Those are pretty good earphones if you like the in-ear kind and they fit you. I had some but unfortunately in-ears don't ever seem to fit my ears I also tried the Shure e2c with the same results). BTW, you can find these all over the internet for about $30 or so; $80 is a rip-off.