Replacement iPod Hard Drive?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tirefire, Sep 28, 2006.

1. tirefire macrumors newbie

Sep 23, 2006
    I have a 1st Gen iPod - the 5 GB model, the one released way back 5 years ago. I replaced the battery a while ago so it's in great working condition ... 18+ hours battery life, etc.

The thing is that my music collection is growing day by day and it will soon exceed the 5 GB capacity of the hard drive in there (and I really want to be able to carry my whole library with me). I know that 1st Gen 10 and 20 GB models were later released, so I thought I could buy a 10 or 20 GB hard drive somewhere that would be compatible with my old iPod to give it a little more capacity without having to buy a brand new iPod with a smaller battery.

Does anyone know where I could find the brand model number of the hard drive in my iPod? Or just some place I could go to get a new one? Because that would rock.
  2. generik macrumors 601

Aug 5, 2005
    You can't, because the hard drives contain the firmware for the iPod as well.

Apple - brand of unserviceable products, have you forgotten? :rolleyes:
  3. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Jun 21, 2006
    You can purchase a hard drive originally intended for the iPod that will work fine. However, the largest ones that I was able to find in the brief search I did were 10GB. It's up to you if it's work the $100. In my opinion you're better off just buying another iPod.