Replacement metal backing question

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Missjenna, May 9, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502a

Missjenna

So I bought one of the cheap metal backs on eBay and today I've been noticing signal issues. Would the back be causing signal issues? I don't have the original with me so I can test it out. Thanks for the help.

2. macrumors 6502

Hi MissJenna

I just did some testing. Im using a Silver "metal" back (see pic below) i purchased from ebay. I put metal in quotes since Im not sure the back is all metal or just has a metallic finish.
    Just tried the Signal app (Cydia) and the readings I got were pretty much identical when I changed it to the Apple glass back.
    I didnt hold the phone while taking the readings. So Im not sure, if holding the phone would make a difference, but by itself the metal back seems to have no affect on the signal.

Pic for reference:
    [​IMG]

3. macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

These metal backings have been known to cause signal issues before, your best bet is to find the plastic 'metal-look'

4. macrumors regular

Would you mind posting the link to where you purchased this?

5. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Missjenna

I was able to do some testing myself today and it was the back causing the issue. I didn't notice a problem at home because I have a macrocell, but at work I usually only get 2 bars of 3G, and this knocked my signal down to 3 bars of edge.

I have the same problem with my boxwave keyboard buddy case.

I'm just not going to bother with any sort of metal products with my phone anymore. They have all been a waste of money.

6. macrumors 6502

Wow. Is your metal back all metal or just plastic with a metal finish ?

Here is the link :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...ies&rt=nc&si=%2F7NCFTzCDxl3QdeT3wARZppC8hQ%3D

7. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Missjenna

It's plastic with a aluminum plate.

It only happens in low signal areas. I've been in contact with apple, at&t and boxwave (where I bought the keyboard case) and no on can think of a fix. I've had boxwave send me a new keyboard case and I've tried playing macgyver with the case and nothing seems to do it.