Replacement of LCD (20" Intel iMac)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AviationFan, May 28, 2006.

1. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

Jan 12, 2006
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    A heat register just decided to fall from the ceiling onto my desk. In the process, it left a small (half inch long) but very noticable scratch on the LCD screen of my new 20" Intel iMac, right in the middle of the screen where it is most annoying :mad:. It then fell onto the keyboard and left a few scratchmark there - nothing too serious, but certainly visible. The good news is that everything still seems to work fine. Still, I am really unhappy since this computer is just over a month old.

I would like to know what options there are to get the display replaced. Of course, I am mostly curious what price and duration to expect. Is there a way to arrange such a repair with an Apple store, such that I can wait there and take it home right away? I would really hate to be without my computer for a few weeks.

The other option might be to just try to live with the LCD the way it is, and use this as an excuse to upgrade to a new machine sooner than I would have done otherwise.

Oh, and just to make sure: I don't assume this is a case for the AppleCare protection plan, right?

I appreciate your suggestions!

- Martin
  2. Maxwell Smart macrumors 6502a

Maxwell Smart

Jan 29, 2006
    maybe you cold try filling in the scratch? I saw this thing on the TV a while back about this stuff that filled in cracks in glass and made the cracks not visible anymore. Maybe that could be a solution
  3. joebells macrumors 6502

Oct 24, 2005
    kind of a pain but you could also hook up an external. I have no clue though if its possible to disable the primary or treat the primary as the secondary while you are using an external.
  4. count chocula macrumors 6502a

count chocula

Apr 7, 2006
    noun. a particular place or position
    you could probably have it repaired with apple, and maybe homeowners insurance would cover it?
  5. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

Feb 17, 2006
    Clovis, California
    Did this happen at your place of work? If so, your employer should replace it for you. I'm just guessing because you left out a lot of details of the circumstances involved. :confused: :)
  6. yippy macrumors 68020

Mar 14, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    An Apple store will probably want to keep it overnight to replace the screen as it is an involved process. That said you should be able to arrange to have it done in a day or 2, much better than a week or so.

Replacing the screen will probably cost as much, or more likely, more than getting an equally sized external monitor. I don't think you can disable the built in screen but you can definitely make it the secondary display so that the external is your main one. This way you also get the pleasure of 2 screens.

In short, yes it can be done, but will be expense. (and you are right, Applecare won't cover it)