Replacements for 40s

Discussion in 'iPod' started by the_freddinator, Aug 13, 2005.

1. macrumors regular

My 40gig broke (for the fourth time since Christmas) a little while ago. I've got the protection plan (remember how it broke 4 times?) and I was wondering about this:

Since apple doesn't sell 40s anymore, what will I possible get as a replacement?
    a) an new overstocked 40
    b) a refurbished 40
    c) a 60photo (?!)

Any ideas anyone? I'm gonna call later today but I want to know if this has happened to anyone else and what did they get as a replacement.

Thanks

2. macrumors 68040

applemacdude

apple still has tons of 3g 15gb so i guess youll get your same model xcept refurb

3. macrumors 68000

wwooden

what are you doing to break four iPods since christmas? I still have the original iPod somewhere, except for the fact that its battery last about an hour, it works great.

4. macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

actually this isn't as rare as you think, for whatever reason some people seem to be getting a string of bad iPods. My 4g 40gb is a year old and it's fine, yet my roommates friend went through three 4g 20gb iPods before she got one that kept working.

5. thread starter macrumors regular

First one had a screen defect.
    Second one I can't even remember what happened :/
    Third and Fourth both had System problems. They'd skip through songs. When i tried to reset my most recent lemon, instead of telling me to plug in to a grounded outlet, it gave me a pic of a dead ipod and tould me to go to apple.com/support/ipod or something.

On the other hand though, do you think since 60s are now as expensive as the 40 when I bought it that I'll be able to guilt them in to giving me a 60?

6. thread starter macrumors regular

UPDATE

Resolved. They're going to give me an off-the-shelf 60photo since 40s are discontinued. Turns out they had sent me refurbished 40s the entire time.

7. macrumors 68000

wwooden

They are always going to try and send you refurbished ones before they give you a new one. Apple wants to get rid of those first if they can.

8. macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

It can take some work chasing after apple a lot of the time, but when it is all over, it always seems to work to the advantage of the consumer. I don't think I am going to have any serious problems with my 60GB iPod, (even if I did, I know they'll still be around for them to replce it with another), but it's nice to know it will eventually get sorted if I do.

9. macrumors G4

Lord Blackadder

By the thread title I thought you were referring to 40oz., as in cheap malt liquor. :rolleyes: :D