Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skcrane

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2009
dayton, oh
After getting my wife a macbook air ultimate for christmas and having used it for about a month I must say it is a great computer, I actually use it while she is not at home instead of my imac. Has anyone replaced their desktop for an air?? I really am just a basic user (email, internet, itunes, iphoto, finances, etc) so really no heavy use. is this a good idea. I am also looking at trading my ipad for one as well as it seems redundant to have an ipad and macbook air for me. I really don't hardly use my ipad at all since getting it 6 months ago. I mainly use my iphone. Just curious if anyone has done this.

shootingstar64

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2008
Monterey, CA
Welcome to the club ;)

I was in a similar boat like you and even a little further,....

With the arrival of my base model MBA 11" to the day i sold my:

• Mac Pro & 30" ACD
• 27" iMac
• 17" uMBP
• iPad WiFi/3G 64GB

My keepers for now are:

• MBA & 27" ACD
• Mac mini Server
• iPhone 4

These three fit my needs just perfect,.... also consider i am working within the IT business,... :D

I would say if you not need it, go for it and sell it!
Simplify your computing life!

Just my 2cents

from another thread,....

oakie

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2008
seattle
if you're just a basic user and have no need for the iMac, then you may as well sell it.

i'm not a basic user, as i have an iMac mainly for editing photos with some video work on the side... but i know myself i wouldnt be able to do the work i do without my iMac. if you're not in that position and would prefer to sell the iMac and turn that money toward a MacBook Air, i dont see an issue.

Detlev_73

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2004
Roswell, GA
If I had to do it all over again...

I would replace my iMac with my MBAir. I also just use the types of applications you mentioned. The clean look of just a laptop on the desk is very zen. I'm often frustrated at websites that don't take advantage of my iMac's screen real estate; when I browse I expand the window to full screen size, and make the dock disappear when it's not being used.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
I wouldn't do it. I've been using my MBA a LOT lately because it's not only my first Mac, but it's new, unique, fun to use, etc etc. Today after work I came home and sat at my desktop and forgot how nice it was to sit in a proper desk chair with a real mouse, real keyboard and two large monitors in front of me. Right now I'm doing some work and browsing the net on one screen and watching the Australian Open via Slingbox on the other.

It really depends on your usage, but for me it could never replace a proper desktop computer.

skcrane

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2009
dayton, oh
with my wife now on her macbook air and using it I am so surprised how speedy and nice to use it is and we end up using it everywhere. I thought about keeping the imac and trading my ipad for an macbook air but honestly just don't see for my needs 2 computers plus you have to keep everything in sync ( i know mobile me) but it just seems redundant and if the macbook air is all i need then go ahead and get rid of imac. I also think that with the desktop as a main computer I kind of isolate my self in my office, this way i can use the computer all over the house. I think I will trade my imac and ipad for the macbook air. It is amazing on how apple keeps changing the game. When the ipad came out I thought I would get a desktop and use ipad for my mobile needs but found there was so much the ipad could not do. Then the macbook air when they first came out I thought they were cool but not very practical for a main computer. Now with this refresh at least with the 13 inch ultimate at least for my purpose i think I can have my cake and eat it to. thanks for thoughts

deadlystriker

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2011
with my wife now on her macbook air and using it I am so surprised how speedy and nice to use it is and we end up using it everywhere. I thought about keeping the imac and trading my ipad for an macbook air but honestly just don't see for my needs 2 computers plus you have to keep everything in sync ( i know mobile me) but it just seems redundant and if the macbook air is all i need then go ahead and get rid of imac. I also think that with the desktop as a main computer I kind of isolate my self in my office, this way i can use the computer all over the house. I think I will trade my imac and ipad for the macbook air. It is amazing on how apple keeps changing the game. When the ipad came out I thought I would get a desktop and use ipad for my mobile needs but found there was so much the ipad could not do. Then the macbook air when they first came out I thought they were cool but not very practical for a main computer. Now with this refresh at least with the 13 inch ultimate at least for my purpose i think I can have my cake and eat it to. thanks for thoughts

good choice. The macbook air is an incredible machine. I chose it over an iMac as well for the same reason you have. The portability is really great and I'm sure you won't regret your decision.

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
I wouldn't do it. I've been using my MBA a LOT lately because it's not only my first Mac, but it's new, unique, fun to use, etc etc. Today after work I came home and sat at my desktop and forgot how nice it was to sit in a proper desk chair with a real mouse, real keyboard and two large monitors in front of me. Right now I'm doing some work and browsing the net on one screen and watching the Australian Open via Slingbox on the other.

It really depends on your usage, but for me it could never replace a proper desktop computer.

why not just use your air with external monitors?

btoimage_minidisplayport_to_dualdvi.gif

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
why not just use your air with external monitors?

btoimage_minidisplayport_to_dualdvi.gif

Because I also game, and have about 500gb worth of games loaded on my PC, many of which would run like crap, if at all on an MBA, especially at higher resolutions. My video card alone draws more power than the MBA. I also do a bit of encoding which my desktop is far better suited.

eldo33

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2010
I have a Mac Pro, MBA 13" and an iPad. I don't see how the MBA can be totally replace by iPad.

Can you bring the MBA onto your bed, laying next to your wife and surf the web? It's an awkward position for me since i'd have to type on the keyboard VS using my thumbs on the ipad for the virtual keyboard.

I need the MacPro (just bought it 2 months ago) for home video editing and I can't see the MBA replacing that, the power and multi hard drive storage can beat MBA.

The MBA is the in between for me. It's great for travel just like the iPad, I take both on trips so my wife and I can both use them.

Superdry

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2011
Midlands, England
Portability

I think the key here is portability, if you need a portable then the MBA will service your needs. If you dont need portable the iMac is better in almost every way, and its such a great screen to use.

I have both the 11" MBA (base spec) and the top spec i5 27" (revision A). I must admit after purchasing the MBA i sold my iPad, I simply stopped using it. If you can sell the iPad and get the base 11" MBA then you would have a lovely powerful desktop with an amazing screen for home, and a super portable 11" air for couch surfing and travel?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.