Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arcobb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Colorado
This is more of a curiosity question... but something I've been wondering for a while. Is it possible to replace an early spring 1.67 PowerBook screen with a the higher resolution model. I found a couple of websites that you can purchase screens from. For example here.

For example my PowerBook has the 1280 x 854 screen. Could I put in the 1440 x 960 WXGA+. Would there be a benefit doing this? Would the screen be dramatically brighter? I've never seen these two screens side by side. Is there a replacement screen for these things that is truly outstanding and a big improvement? How hard would this be to do yourself?

Again, I'm not really considering this... but I'm curious about it as I've never seen much written about replacing a PowerBooks screen other then if there is a defect and you send it back to apple. Cheers!

onthat

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2006
Ruston, Louisiana
sounds like a winner to me, The pixel brite option is intriguing...starting to think that I could get a used powerbook with a non-working screen and just install an aftermarket high gloss one. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

p.s. I know a guy who built an LCD screen to use as a tv and it looks great...he claims that it took a little over 3 hours, but that's with random parts that he had to custom fit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.