Replacing a SuperDrive???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ----Bowie----, Apr 3, 2005.

1. ----Bowie---- macrumors regular

Well, the superdrive on my PowerMac G4 (MDD) just died. If I buy a 3rd party drive will it work with everything on my Mac? Does Apple sell replacement superdrives?

Will This drive work well for me?

Thanks

2. chv400 macrumors 6502

Not sure if that one you showed will work but I'm pretty sure that this one will work.

3. jiggie2g macrumors 6502

jiggie2g

I don't get why Mac folks still call it a superdrive, there really isn't anything super about DVD-Burners anymore eespecially when now that they cost about $50-60.

ok Bowie , you don't want a Samsung burner. You want Pioneer , NEC , Lite-on or Plextor. for the money I'd go either with the NEC ND-3520A or Pioneer DVR-109. they are both very inexpensive and blazing fast.

Just plug it up to your mac and download a tool call Patch Burn II , u can google seach for it. this makes just about any DVD Burner work on mac and iLife. also check out xlr8yourmac.com they have hundreds of user reviews on DVD Burner on mac.

by the way if u have a PC try hooking it up there 1st and downloading all the newer firlmware or hacked firmware as u will be unable to update it on your mac. hacked firmware gets u goodies like rip lock (lets u rip DVD's faster) , just google seach "dangerous brothers".

4. ----Bowie---- thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the help! :)

P.S. Yeah, its kind of funny how they still call them superdrives, but I think that has been using the name since the 80's.