Replacing an HD on MacPro

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by crazycat, Oct 14, 2006.

1. crazycat macrumors 65816

Dec 5, 2005
    I have a 250GB HD on my MacPro and i have add'd a 500G one with no problems. I would like to replace the 250GB HD with another 500GB but i am not sure how to transfer all the information from it to the new one. The 250GB HD has all applications, photos and OS on so whats the best way to get the exacte information on my 250GB to my new 500GB as if nothing changed?
  2. apachie2k macrumors 6502

May 23, 2006
    was MIAMI
    i don't have a mac pro...but i know it does have like 4 hardrive bays, so just stick in the 500 and drag and drop everything? or just keep the 250 in there
  3. Schroedinger macrumors regular

Feb 12, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    I would recommend you put the new drive in bay 3, pop in your OS install disks and install os x onto the new drive. then have it import everything from the first drive using the migration assistant. The transfer speed between the two internal drives will be pretty fast.

Then you can keep the old drive as a back up start up disk. I've got OS X installed on two of my internal disks and I can easily boot using the back up (with start up disk preference pane) and then repair permissions or verify the main start up disk.