Replacing Boot - Can't Delete "Users" Folder on Secondary Drive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mintlivedotcom, Jul 15, 2005.

1. mintlivedotcom macrumors regular

Apr 21, 2004
    I tried to replace the stock 160GB drive in my PM with a fast Raptor drive, but am having difficulties. I used Disk Utility to erase the 160GB secondary drive, but it erases everything but the Users folder (45GB!!!). What can I do?
  2. Linkjeniero macrumors 6502

Jan 6, 2005
    Does is say why can't it be erased?
  3. mintlivedotcom thread starter macrumors regular

Apr 21, 2004
    An error message pops up:

Sorry, the operation could not be completed because and unexpected error has occurred (Error code -122).
  4. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Dec 26, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Duff-Man says....I wonder if we have the whole story here as this sounds a bit odd. What exactly did you do with the new drive, like I mean did you format it, install the OS and apps etc you wanted....or restore to it from a back-up...or try to "drag and drop" copy....knowing what you did may help diagnose the problem.

If you absolutely sure you've done everything "properly" and really don't need what is on that other drive, try booting from your OS X install cd and running Disk Utility and try formatting from there.....oh yeah!
  5. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

Oct 24, 2003
    Tucson AZ
    Is the 160GB on the same IDE channel(slaved) as the new Raptor? If so, place them on independent channels.
    My first instinct would be to disconnect the new drive, boot from the OSX CD/DVD and use the Disk Utility on the CD/DVD to format the stock drive. Shutdown, install the new drive and boot from it.

6. mintlivedotcom thread starter macrumors regular

Apr 21, 2004
  7. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004

SATA doesn't have this problem.
  8. mduser63 macrumors 68040

Nov 9, 2004
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Could this be a permissions problem? I seem to remember that once when I installed OS X on a new drive and booted from it, I was unable to access some of the stuff on the old boot drive when booting from the new one. Running chmod from the terminal and giving access privileges to everyone cleared things up. You might try opening up terminal and doing the following:

cd /Volumes/<name of your old drive>
    sudo chmod a+rwx Users

sudo will ask for your password, type your administrator password. Then try deleting Users. Another way to delete Users at this point might be to use the rm command in terminal.

Be careful using rm. If you don't know what you're doing, or make a typo when using it, there's a chance that you might erase important stuff that you didn't mean to erase.