Replacing HD in gray PowerMac DP 500MHz G4

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by micvog, Mar 29, 2004.

1. micvog macrumors 6502

micvog

A friend has a gray PowerMac G4 with 2x500MHz G4s and an ATI Rage 128 Ultra graphics card. His IBM Deskstar 40GB hard drive crashed as he was preparing to upgrade from OS9 to Panther. Will a standard ATA/IDE hard drive work with his Mac? Specifically, I was going to recommend a 80GB Seagate ATA100 7200RPM/8MB cache available at Best Buy for $49.99.

Based on what I found at Apple's website I am not sure whether he has SCSI or ATA. My friend doesn't know either and he can't boot his Mac to check the system profiler.

Thanks.

2. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

that drive or any ultra ata drive will work. period.

3. arsbanned macrumors newbie

Yeah, that drive should work fine. I recently (uhhh yesterday) upgraded the drive in my older G4 tower. Very slick process.
    Check out the drive utility-if your friend's current drive is able- you'll be able to move the data over to the new drive. Nice util.

4. micvog thread starter macrumors 6502

micvog

5. dudeami macrumors regular

That model came with ultra ATA/66 on the mother board. It will run the ultra ATA/100 drive but at the 66 MB speed. This shouldn't really cause any slowdown for a single drive, however if you were to software mirror two of those drives on that system, then you might consider a faster controller as well.

I think the SCSI 160 option that was available on that system required a card installed as well, but I'm not positive.