replacing HDD in iBook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by bill4588, Feb 11, 2006.

1. bill4588 macrumors 6502a

bill4588

I plan on getting a refurbished iBook but I can't seem to find one with a 60GB HDD so I would like to replace the 40GB with a new 60GB HDD. How would the whole process of doing that work? Just asking to try and determine if the whole mess is worth it.

2. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Unless you know how to replace them yourself, it's quite expensive. If you really want the 60gb harddrive, it would probably be cheaper and a better deal to get a brand new and order it with the 60gb hard drive (i'm almost sure that's an option).

Replacing a harddrive is a good few hundred dollars to do.

3. Voidness macrumors 6502a

Voidness

This is a good 60GB hard drive selling for 149$ US:

http://www.ifixit.com/cart/catalog/product_922_60_GB_5400_RPM_Toshiba_IDE_Hard_Drive_New.html

But replacing a hard drive on an iBook is a pain, you have to disassemble almost the entire unit to get to the old hard drive, here's a guide on how to do it:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/83.14.0.html

I'm writing this post on a 12" iBook, latest revision (1.33GHz, 40GB). I do recommend getting a faster and bigger hard drive instead of the stock drive. Also, it's good is to install additional RAM, it makes a world of a difference (Upgraded from 512MB to 1.5GB).

4. California macrumors 68040

California

I have a new Toshiba sixty gig hard drive I will sell you for 100 bucks shipped. I was going to put this into my friend/s iBook but they are now out of the country. It is the same Toshiba as is on that pbfixit site or may be the better one -- because mine has the 16mb cache and 5400rpm.

In any case, you should be able to find an Apple tech to do the work for you for their going rate of seventy five dollars per hour. I was going to have them throw a superdrive in it at the same time -- because once the case is open, it is open. This voids the warranty on your Apple hard drive and your Apple optical drive but if it is certified work, I don't see how it voids the warranty on your screen or logic board; nor do I see how Apple could hold that line.

5. bill4588 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bill4588

:eek: screw this....it's too much hassle. I'll just stick with the 40GB lol. Thanks for the help and advice!!

6. TLRedhawke macrumors 6502

It's not really accurate to say that once the case is open to put in a hard drive, that an optical drive is easy to replace. In my experience with iBooks, it adds about half an hour of labour to the process. The reason for this is that the top shield doesn't need to be fully removed, but only folded out of the way of the hard drive. With the G4 iBooks, one also has to remove the bottom shield to fully remove the optical drive, which is added pain.

That being said, at least you're not swapping logic boards. That one is particularly painful...

7. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

yeah, when you need a new logic board and you aren't under warranty... consider a new laptop. You've probably had it for a few years at that point anyway.

Mucho dollares.

8. TLRedhawke macrumors 6502

I was referring more to the labour of actually installing a logic board. That's an hour's worth of your time that you'll never get back.

9. jtown macrumors 6502

It's really not that bad if you're good at keeping track of all the little screws. But 40 to 60 is pointless. If you're going to make the effort, stick a 100 or 120 gig drive in there.

10. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Replacing an iBook hard drive is much more difficult than replacing on in a standard desktop PC. Without proper instructions you can really damage your iBook just by opening it. There are tons of screws. If you follow instructions, it's not that bad. But still, be very careful.

11. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Yeah, ibooks are pretty complicated if you aren't experienced in that kind of thing. Tons of screws and lots of applying pressure that feels weird.

12. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

It really isn't that hard, but my memory is short. A thread about my hd "upgrade".

Think about it until the warranty expires. If you ever do your own repairs, I suggest using ice cube trays or water color pans to keep track of screws. Get a ESD strap, and don't use

13. TLRedhawke macrumors 6502

The screws aren't that hard to deal with (Use an ice cube tray), but I find the hardest part for those new to computer repair is removing the top and bottom case without gouging the edges, or damaging the AC plug. Just remember to flex the grey band (the plastic strip running all the way around the iBook), ad lift the case edge. Don't pry anything, just flex and lift.