Replacing imac g5 hard drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by monroepq, Jun 6, 2006.

1. monroepq macrumors newbie

I have one of the first iMac g5's, the one's without isight and a 17in display. Also an 80gb hard drive that I'd like to replace with a bigger one. So my question is, what type of hard drive do I need to buy, just a regular SATA one? And is it at all possible to do this with as little hassle as possible, I don't want to have to install the os on it and set up my computer from scratch. I know there are cables out there that allow internal hard drives to be connected through usb or firewire, so could I just move all the contents from my 80gig to the new hard drive that way? I imagine I'd have to format it first though.

2. ToddW macrumors 6502a

i think the procedure is pretty painless. a regular old SATA drive that you can get at your local computer store will work. you might want to think about getting an external USB2.0/FW case that will allow you to clone your 80GB HD to the bigger drive that way all you have to do is swap them out. getting into the iMac G5 is a sinch and instructions are provided here:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/imacG5_17inch_harddrive.pdf

3. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

yeah it is really easy. i saw it done at school once by an IT guy. pretty painless.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's very painless to replace the iMac G5's hard drive until the iSight model. Just watch out for the temperature sensor on the hard drive cage. I've known people to rip that cable out.

5. monroepq thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks! i heard on another forum that some people had problems getting os x to boot on the new drive b/c it wasn't from apple, hopefully just an isolated case.

6. rinnin macrumors newbie

iMac G5 replace HD question

My brothers iMac G5 HD died and he got a quote of over €300 to have it replaced by an ASP. I was gonna do it for him but just wanted to ask if any 3.5in SATA drive will work or do they have to be preformatted in Apple HFS standard?
    Also would it also be possible to just pop in the new drive, startup from his backup firewire external HD and run Carbon Copy Cloner to setup the new drive and then reboot?
    Cant be that simple now really, Can it?
    Thanks