Replacing keyboard/Trackpad

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by XP Defector, Mar 10, 2007.

1. XP Defector macrumors 6502

Can this be user achieved? Or if not, how much might it cost? I'm thinking the rest of my MacBook is pretty much in excellent condition, and it is only the trackpad and keyboard that have seemed to degrade. Also, I quite like the idea after a year or so making the change just to keep that new shiney feel. Also, has anyone been able to insert a black keyboard into a white MacBook? That would look awesome.

2. Kamikaze macrumors member

Yes you can replace them. I ordered a used white keyboard which comes with everything the top board has on it. Keyboard, track pad, power button, everything. I got it from "falconprince" for $79.00. It looks farely simple. I am having mine painted locally to match the jet black with white keys on Colorwares's website. I am going to attempt to spray the track pad also to prevent the problem your having. I'll keep everyone posted.:D

3. XP Defector thread starter macrumors 6502

That's excellent, definitely post back with photos. Good Luck

Also, Falcon prince is an ebay vender right? Do you know if he stocks the white keyboard etcs often? I wonder where he gets them from.

4. Kamikaze macrumors member

Yes he has an eBay store.:apple:

Here is the link to what he is selling now. If you do not find the keyboard let me know and I'll send over their email address. I talked a lot with Heidi. She told me they have lots of these coming through their shop. They were great with communication and follow through.:D :D

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZfalconprinceQQhtZ-1

5. whateverandever macrumors 6502a

I'm so jealous of how cheap topcases/keyboards are for MacBooks. It's hard to ever find a non-vendor selling MacBook Pro keyboards and the vendors all want $70-150 for them in addition to the $100-200 they want for the topcase/trackpad.

Luckily my keyboard is still in working order, even if the keys aren't straight (thanks, Apple).

6. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

Is the replacing of the top case and keyboard that hard? Watching the video of the MBP getting a new hdd looked like a PITA.

7. Kamikaze macrumors member

Give this guy a try. I saw a PB keyboard. you never know!

8. Surface mount macrumors newbie

I am looking to buy a Keyboard for the Mac book Pro. I killed 4 keys with a liquid spill. I have the keyboard removed, and luckily the damage was confined to just the keyboard. The design allows for limited protection against liquid damage from the motherboard, so a small spill will be kept from leaking past the top case keyboard tray.

Does anyone know a good source for these....? Google searches turned up nothing.... Thanks:)

9. whateverandever macrumors 6502a

Here you go:

http://item.express.ebay.com/NEW-GENUINE-Apple-Macbook-Pro-15-Keyboard-US-Layout_W0QQitemZ160113003475QQihZ006QQtrZexpQQcmdZExpressItem

They're not the easiest thing to install. It's a pain in the butt bending the metal brackets to clamp / unclamp the keyboard to the top-case, but it's doable.

Just so you know, that eBay Express item linked above is a fairly great price compared to what I've seen them run on eBay in the past.

10. Surface mount macrumors newbie

Wow... thank you. I just ordered it. That was a GREAT price.

I had the coffee laden keyboard out and back in already, so I'll be a pro when the new one arrives. I thought I was the proud new owner of a $2000 paper weight! Thanks again.

11. whateverandever macrumors 6502a

No problem. I've done my fair of repairs to my Macbook Pro. Had to swap out a top-case for a new one, had to repair the heat-pipe sensors (to stop random shutdowns), swapped out screens, and re-applied thermal paste to the processor :p

Needless to say, my MBP is out of warranty, but it's running like a champ now.

12. Surface mount macrumors newbie

Okay,

New keyboard arrived. Problem.

Only SOME keys work....others don't. Its supposedly new, and original. The only difference I can see is printing on the ribbon cable says "rev A" on my liquid damaged keyboard and the new keyboard doesnt say that. It may mean nothing. It fit in perfectly. I have a C2D MBP. Any thoughts why my computer doesnt like this new keyboard. Could the C2D need the "rev A' keyboards??? or did I receive someone else's junk keyboard?

I bought it from Original Parts Global's ebay store.

thanks

13. merkje macrumors newbie

Cheap replacement option

So, I first looked at having the Apple Geniuses replace my keyboard (eight key doesn't work, which forces me to spell out eight or copy-and-paste-it from wikipedia's excellent article on the number...eight...argh). I found other users in forums talking about $150 and immediately decided it couldn't be that hard to replace it myself (big caution: about 12 small screws and static-worries are involved). I bought just the keyboard, but the basic 13" macbooks do not have replacement keyboards (they're essentially molded into the upper frame or top case). You have to buy the whole top case. Luckily, other world computing has them for $39.9eight. Look for part number 922-7885. Good luck!