Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleTech22

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
US
Looking to customize my 2013 retina 15" MBP a little bit more, and would love to do something with the keys. Is there a way I can swap out my black keys for white ones? Tried putting on the delete key from my wired keyboard, but the connection prongs on the bottom seemed to be different. Either that, or I was doing something wrong.

Has anyone had any luck with a project like this?

Thanks!

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Looking to customize my 2013 retina 15" MBP a little bit more, and would love to do something with the keys. Is there a way I can swap out my black keys for white ones? Tried putting on the delete key from my wired keyboard, but the connection prongs on the bottom seemed to be different. Either that, or I was doing something wrong.

Thanks!

They sell skins why not just use those? cheaper and easier

Aneef

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2015
Lahore, Pakistan

Thanks!
As mentioned in my above comment, why don't use something like this http://kbcovers.com/colors-keyboard-cover/ ?

AppleTech22

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
US
Thank you all for the comments, but as I said very clearly I am looking to absolutely replace the keys. Every solution you mentioned is of subpar quality, otherwise I would not have posted this thread. Keyboard skins are ****. They fall off, mark up your screen, and have the worst feel when typing. Using whiteout or any coloring would present an unpleasant texture to the keys and would not stand a chance against regular usage.

If anyone has actually found an answer or solution, I would love to know! I think it would be a very cool look! :rolleyes:

1madman1

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2013
Richmond, BC, Canada
I was thinking about doing this once with my pre-retina MBP, but never got around to trying. No longer have the computer so it won't be happening. I never found any confirmation as to if the keycaps were compatible.

Years ago, I swapped the keys on my Powerbook G4 (translucent black) and an iBook G3 (translucent white). They fit just fine, though it didn't quite look right. I've seen people swap keys between the pre-unibody MacBooks as well.

PKBeam

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2015
NSW, Australia
I have done this before. It depends on the key mechanisms.
Keys from a white MacBook or wired keyboard might use a different plastic clip or they'll probably be too tall and leave marks on the screen. The only other option I can think of is an apple wireless keyboard but those look like they use the taller keys.

Actually I'm pretty sure apple has never released a white version of the keys used in the newer MBA/rMBPs. White on grey looks inferior anyway, at least to me. Maybe bleach the keys or use paint?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.